Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    justy74 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2007, 09:21 AM
    Acquiring Unpaid Rent!
    After obtaining a judgement against my tenant to vacate my premisis after 10 days and pay my 3 months rent inc. court fees,late fees and interest I came across a situation. My tenant seems to have no desire to meet her obligations of providing me unpaid due rent for 3 months. Another problem that I am facing is that I don't have any information about the tenant such as SSN or where he is moving to? I am not sure what my next step should be. Help!! By the way I am in VA
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 13, 2007, 12:39 PM
    You've run into the Catch 22 of obtaining a judgement. Getting the judgement is easy, collecting on it is another matter.

Did they pay rent by check? Did they provide references? Do you know where they worked? Can you get the court to require they complete a financial questionnaire? Sending a letter with return receipt requested may get you their new address.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 13, 2007, 02:32 PM
    I would assume you are sueing in housing court for an eviction, and then sueing in court for all unpaid rents. At least here itwould be two separate court actions.

But it is easy to win, almost impossible to collect the money after you win, if they did nnot pay you before, they wo't pay you after you win.
    You will have to find their bank accounts, their work and so on.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unpaid hospital bill [ 3 Answers ]

My name is Bridget... 2 years ago I went to the hospital and was uninsured... My bill is now 20,000 accruing interest with collection agency? I don't know what to do... can they seize my bank accounts without my permission?

Can I escape from an unpaid judgement? [ 4 Answers ]

Will a judgement that is unpaid be removed fom my credit report after 7 years, or will it only be removed 7 yrs AFTER it is paid? I have heard conflicting information. Also, does anyone out there know if you can qualify for a traditional mortgage loan with a credit score of 650 AND an unpaid...

Roommate owes 1500 in unpaid rent [ 1 Answers ]

I am from Michigan and my roommate who is supposed to be paying rent from us took our money and did god knows what with. He hasn't paid for a few months, totalling $1500. The landlord knows this, if he doesn't pay all the money before our last mont of rent is due can I sue him so we aren't stuck...

View more questions Search