Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    billyjean Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2007, 04:32 AM
    Tiolet plugs up
    I have a tiolet that is suppose to use less water. It plugs up so bad that you have to flush it at least twice every time. Is this just the way they work and do I need to just replace it? It has plugged up since it was first installed.
    XenoSapien Posts: 627, Reputation: 42

Jul 13, 2007, 04:42 AM
    Let me guess... one of those "efficiency" toilets. I really hate those myself; they're junk. They use less water, which is critical to flushing properly. Check to see if you can raise the water level in the tank. Get it as high as you can.

XenoSapien

Jul 13, 2007, 06:31 AM
    Yes it is an efficiency tiolet and the water level is as high as I can put it. Is there anything else I can do?
    XenoSapien Posts: 627, Reputation: 42

Jul 13, 2007, 09:14 AM
    Not really. The only thing I can think of is change the fill tube to a taller size, and a fluidmaster that adjusts higher than the one you have. The tank does need to hold more water in order to flush properly.

Doing this change will defeat the purpose of being water efficient, but without a sufficient amount of water in the tank, it will always be a two-flush toilet. Which is actually requiring more water than your previous toilet to flush. I find these efficiency toilets to be a big scam.

If the holes line up and you still have it, you can put the old tank on the new bowl. This will work too. Other than that, going back to the standard toilet is probably all you can do. Maybe someone else who reads this has an answer that I haven't thought of though.

XenoSapien
    scirocco70 Posts: 128, Reputation: 9

Jul 13, 2007, 12:26 PM
    Well, you can't legally buy a toilet that uses more than 1.6 gallons per flush.

That's plenty of water if the toilet is set up properly, but there are significant differences in the design of toilets, and therefore how well they flush... the cheap $79 two-piece boxed combo at Home Depot isn't such a great deal if it won't flush.

For your specific case, if the hints given already won't work for you, then I suggest you replace the toilet with something like the American Standard Champion:
    American Standard - Champion Demo
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 13, 2007, 12:33 PM
    In my capacity as shop trouble shooter I began to run into a slew of complaints on our new construction that were just like yours. I knew they all couldn't be " bad toilets" so I went looking for the cause. I found that when installing the new bowl that the wax ring had been forced out into the discharge pipe and blocking the free flow of water. When the water hit it a backpressure was set up preventing the siphon that makes a good flush and the solids just swirled around while the water went slowly down. I had to set up meeting with our plumbers and show them the problem and how to fix it. When you set the bowl, put the wax seal down on the flat side to the closet flange. Then take your hands and bevel the wax seal outward so that when you set a bowl on it the wax is forced out instead of in blocking the flush. The customer complaints stopped and I had less work to do. Try molding the wax seal so it doesn't choke down on the flush. Good luck, Tom

Jul 15, 2007, 03:22 PM
    It looks like I am going to have to just buy a new tiolet after I checked out everything.
    What is the best kind to buy that flushes with no problems?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Where are the spark plugs? [ 2 Answers ]

I am borrowing a friends riding lawnmower and another friend of mine says the spark plugs are probably out. Where do I find them so I can see if that's what it is?? It's a Troy Built 19 Hp/ 597 cc Twin Cam Kohler... with a 42" I have no clue where to even start looking. My husband is out of town...

Colder Plugs? [ 1 Answers ]

I was searching the net for something I can't remember and came across this Civic faq on 92-95 civics by txgreasemonkey. It stated that engine knock on a 93 civic dx was solved by using a plug 2 steps colder ...

Tiolet tank adjustment [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a slow leak from the tiolet water basin into the bowl. I know that the water level line on the basin inlet is being exceeded to the point where the water in overflowing into the inlet tube. I don't know how to manipulate the float so that the basin doesn't fill up so high. It's a kohler...

Loud noise after tiolet is flushed [ 2 Answers ]

After the toilet is flushed there seems to be extra noise going on in wall where the pipes are. It only happens in the one bathroom. The noise sounds like the water to refill the toilet is louder than normal. I'm not sure how else to explain it. This just started recently - Our house is only 4 yrs...

Tiolet flange problem [ 1 Answers ]

I have a problem with my tiolet flange or pipe, my tiolet was rocking back and forth. I removed the tiolet to replace the flange and everything came up at the same time. After inspecting the floor I noticed a semi flange, looks like a flange. After two trips to Home depot, I came back to see what...

View more questions Search