Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Colfax Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2007, 09:42 PM
    How to connect new DVD recorder with old TV
    I bought a new Panasonic DVD recorder with VHS deck (together in one unit) that I want to use to copy old VHS (non copy protected) to DVD. I'll be using an old RCA TV.

The DVD recorder has RF jacks in back so I know I don't need to buy a modulator to hook everything up. :)

The Panasonic manual says I can connect the TV and DVD two ways.

1) RF cable alone OR
    2) RF cable PLUS red/yellow/white AV cables too.

Nothing is said about any advantage to one method or the other.

So my question is:

Does using red/yellow/white AV cables in addition to the RF cable improve the quality of the DVD copies I make? Or will they come out the same if I just use the RF?

Thanks in advance.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jul 13, 2007, 08:32 AM
    Doesn't matter for copying, connections are inside for dubbing.
    RCA is better, not the best. Since TV only has RF(Coax) Then Coax it is.
    I would check out this site, click on cable types, will tell you more than you want to know.
    Very helpful.

Monster Cable Connection Guide - Home
    modular01 Posts: 129, Reputation: 36

Jul 13, 2007, 08:55 AM
    Stratmando is right. The only thing that using coax or rca cables is going affect is the sound and picture quality of what you are viewing.

Jul 13, 2007, 11:48 AM
    Thanks for the feedback, Stratmando and modular01.

Stratmando: Actually the RCA TV DOES have both RF and AV jacks in back, so I'm able to use both RF and AV connections at the same time, if there's a reason to do so (which it doesn't sound like there is).

After I posted yesterday I transferred my first two VHS tapes to DVD and I'm very happy with the quality of the transfers.

Jul 13, 2007, 11:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Colfax
    Thanks for the feedback, Stratmando and modular01.

Stratmando: Actually the RCA tv DOES have both RF and AV jacks in back, so I'm able to use both RF and AV connections at the same time, if there's a reason to do so (which it doesn't sound like there is).

After I posted yesterday I transferred my first two VHS tapes to DVD and I'm very happy with the quality of the transfers.
    If the TV has both RCA and RF jacks, go with the RCA connection. Anything is better than RF. Component is better than RCA, and S-Video is better than both, but unless you are an audiofile, or have your TV hooked up to a home theater system, you won't notice much of an audio quality difference.

Jul 13, 2007, 12:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by modular01
    If the TV has both RCA and RF jacks, go with the RCA connection. Anything is better than RF. Component is better than RCA, and S-Video is better than both, but unless you are an audiofile, or have your TV hooked up to a home theater system, you won't notice much of an audio quality difference.
    Good point Stratmando. I'm so used to doing the stuff that I forget to mention the fundamentals, like selecting video instead of a channel.

Jul 13, 2007, 01:51 PM
    Just to clarify... using RCA's AV jacks will improve the quality of the picture I see on the TV but not the quality of the DVD dupes that I make, right?

Jul 13, 2007, 01:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Colfax
    Just to clarify....using RCA's AV jacks will improve the quality of the picture I see on the TV but not the quality of the DVD dupes that I make, right?
    That is correct. Nothing will change the quality of the duplication, the only that will change is the result (what you see).
    HVAC888 Posts: 674, Reputation: 75

Jul 18, 2007, 10:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by modular01
    To prevent wrong information, S-video is NOT better than component, atlhough it is better than RCA though.

S-Video only supports 480i. Component can support 1080p.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do u/I connect a dvd recorder plus a vcr and a satellite receiver all together? [ 4 Answers ]

Can some one tell me how do u/I connect a DVD recorder plus a VCR and a satellite receiver all together? I also picked up an r f modulator and an s-video cable plus another set of cables one 3prong audio/video thingee and one extra single prong cable for video in/out . So how do I hook all this up...

VCR/DVD Combo, DVD Recorder hookup to Satellite TV [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to hookup a VCR/DVD combo and a DVD Recorder to my TV. I have satellite TV, but the satellite receiver is not connected to the same TV. I have read and reread all four books and can not figure it out. I want to be able to record from the television to both the VCR and the DVD...

Connect TV,vcr,cable,dvd recorder [ 2 Answers ]

I have a rca big sreen TV, digital cable box, vcr and dvd recorder. I can't seem to get it all connected properly by following the TV instruction guide or the dvd recorder instruction guide. I would like to be able to record dvd's from old vcr tapes, plus be able to have a strong enough signal to...

How do I connect a Directv satellite box to an LG DVD recorder [ 1 Answers ]

To the next genius out their... HELP! I need help connecting my Directv satellite box model HD-250 to my LG DVD recorder model DR1F9H in order to copy all of my tivo'd recordings on my Directv satellite. I also need to know how to connect an additional DVD player to my LG DVD recorder for coping my...

How do I connect a DVD Recorder to Satellite Box to HDTV? [ 1 Answers ]

Here's what I'm trying to connect: Phillips DVD Recorder Model DVDR3400 (which has 1 HDMI input) DirecTV HD Receiver (which also has 1 HDMI input) Panasonic Plasma HDTV Model TH-42PX60U (has 2 HDMI inputs) And this is what I have in the way of cables: 1 HDMI cable 1 component video...

View more questions Search