Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ultimate_user_name Posts: 103, Reputation: 6

Jul 12, 2007, 07:12 PM
    GERMS at home ! How to get rid of them ?
    We've been passing around an anti-biotic resistant virus at our house for more than a month now... we try to disinfect kitchen and bathroom surfaces, and are now running bleach through our water lines (bad idea?)

Please help, what is the best disinfectant?
    Anything helps. I know I put this in the wrong section... to late now
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Jul 12, 2007, 07:34 PM
    Bleach is a bad idea. We did that with our water - we are on a well. I can't remember the reason given - but I do remember that I was told not to do it again. (I know, not much help)
    What are your symptoms? Is it possible that there is something in the home that you are allergic to? Like Mold?

Jul 12, 2007, 07:48 PM
    I don't think it could be an allergic reaction, but the doctor thinks it's an antibiotic resistant infection. Because any wounds often become inflamed and infected, all the antibiotics the doctors have sent at us have done little to nothing.

We've begun to think our house is contaminated or something, and are trying to flat out KILL whatever is in here.
    Ultra Member

Jul 12, 2007, 07:49 PM
    Like I said, what are your symptoms? And how long have you lived in your home?

Jul 12, 2007, 07:54 PM
    We've been in our home almost 3 years now, symptoms I suppose would be stomach problems (nausia, diahrea), and impossible-to-rid-of anry-red skin infections that usually come to heads, one of us has an infection right now on our left knee that makes it painful to walk.
    Ultra Member

Jul 12, 2007, 07:59 PM
    Do you know the history of your home?
    Normally if you had a mold problem - the symptoms are usually trouble breathing.
    So, I don't think that fits the bill. I would question if your home was used as a meth. Lab at one time.
    I do not know the symptoms - but, I know that living in one can make you sick.
    It would be worth checking out.

Jul 12, 2007, 08:05 PM
    The real thing we would want to know is what can we do to clean it out and get rid of whatever "it" is, is there something that can be sprayed everywhere?
    Ultra Member

Jul 12, 2007, 08:10 PM
    Well, if you don't know what you are trying to kill - it will make it very difficult to get the right stuff.
    If, say, this house was a meth. Lab at one time - then no, there is no spray in the world that will get rid of the toxins. You would have to gut your house.

Has this gone on the entire time you have lived there?

Jul 12, 2007, 08:16 PM
    In the last year or so we've noticed an unusual amount of sickness, id just really like to know where some places are that germs could be that we wouldn't have thought of cleaning, and how to clean them, could germs be in the air vents? Are we right for trying to clean out the water lines? I've heard people say that carpets are breeding grounds for allergens and germs, we have carpet in the bedrooms and office, should we pull this up ?
    Ultra Member

Jul 12, 2007, 08:20 PM
    There could be things in the carpet - yes. There could be things in your air ducts to. You can have those cleaned.
    The water, I would have tested.
    Do you have a basement or attic?
    If so, give those a good cleaning. If your house is older - you could have asbestos. Check into that.
    Before I went and tore my house apart though, I would have someone come in and get it checked out. See about your air quality - if there is mold, any toxins, etc.

Jul 12, 2007, 08:26 PM
    The house is actually fairly new (built 5 or 6 years ago?), I think ill make another post on how to clean out an air duct, would a professional steam clean be enough for the carpet ?
    Where would I post an air duct cleaning query ?
    Ultra Member

Jul 12, 2007, 08:29 PM
    Just some where in the home and garden section. They may have a special spot for that too. But, there are companies that will come out and do it and will be done much more efficiently - just because they have the equipment.
    Ultra Member

Jul 12, 2007, 08:35 PM
    Hey, under the home section - there is a sub category for heating and air. That would be the place to put your question in for the air duct.
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Jul 12, 2007, 08:40 PM
    I got very ill once due to dirty surgical equipment during surgery.
    It persisted for months (sores appearing out of no where that wouldn't heal and upset stomach 24/7).
    I had to be put on IV antibiotics daily and a nurse at the hospital told me to clean my entire house (toilets, tubs, door knobs, light switches, floors, EVERYTHING with Lysol concentrate.
    It's in a little brown bottle and the stuff smells like a hospital, but it worked.
    The back of the bottle gives detailed instructions on how to kill stuff from minor colds and strep A to more extreme stuff like strep B and Staff infections.
    Also spray Lysol disinfectant in your vehicles.

Jul 12, 2007, 08:49 PM
    Thank you! Would that work on carpet also ? What you went through sounds exactly like what we're going through !
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2007, 10:58 AM
    Yes, It was suggested to me by a nurse at the hospital that I sanitize everything.
    I looked into having a professional carpet cleaning co. sanitize my carpet, but it was WAY to expensive.
    It would have been the easier route to take, but my medical bills were adding up so I used the Lysol concentrate to clean my carpets.
    You have to buy a defoamer because the Lysol makes a lot of foam when using it in a carpet cleaner.
    If there is no defoamer being used you'll make a great big mess (LOL, I learned that the hard way).
    If you can afford it, hire a cleaning co. that sanitizes the carpets because it's just easier
    (ask them if they sanitize, because I found that not all of them do).
    If you cannot afford it, buy a lot of defoamer LOL.
    Even with the defoamer, you're going to have some foam.

Also, oral antibiotics didn't cure my illness. It would seem to get better and would seem to have gone away,
    But a week after the round of antibiotics were finished the symptoms would come back.

I was put on a 4 week daily IV antibiotic.
    That combined with the weekly cleaning (carpets I only cleaned 1 time, 2 weeks after the I've treatments began)
    I was finally better.

I really hope you feel better.

Jul 13, 2007, 06:06 PM
    Thanks, we already have an EXTENSIVE selection of lysol products since we've been trying to get rid of this thing, but we're going to add lysol concentrate to the list, no one has had to go to IV antibiotics, but if this latest round of it doesn't get better soon, who knows, we've already tried every other antibiotic under the sun. We really apreciate your answer !
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2007, 06:32 PM
    You are very welcome.
    I hope you and your family feel better soon.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Home ingredients to get rid of my acne [ 26 Answers ]

I am 14 and play sports. I try to wash my face at least twice-a-day. I still break out, and it is very embarrassing. I want to feel confident about my face. What is something I can do to help my acne. I heard there is certain things that I have around my house that I could use to help cure my acne,...

Garden Tub Faucet - Home of Legend mobile home [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My sister has a leaky garden tub faucet. We can't determine how to access under the faucet. There is no access door. A closet is behind the faucet. When we remove the wallboard, we find the distance from the opening to the faucet too far away to access. Can you help? Thanks, Mary

At home data entry jobs or home based business [ 0 Answers ]

Come April 8,2007 I will be laid off from my job and wanted to know if any of these free data entry jobs are legitimate or home bases business are worth doing. If so, where can I find them? Any information will be helpful. Thanks.

Schedule C home depreciation and effect on eventual sale of home in the future [ 1 Answers ]

I am debating if I should take depreciation on my personal home onto my federal schedule C. Let me explain, My gut feeling tells me that when I eventually sell my personal home I will be forced to add back all the depreciation I have taken on my schedule C for all those past years as income for...

Get rid of home equity or car loan? [ 5 Answers ]

My cousin's dilemma. They have a $14,000 home equity loan at 7.25% apr, a car loan on a 7 yr old car for $9500 at 5.99% apr and $90000 in savings at 3-4% interest rate. They are currently having a baby and have short-term goals of starting a business so they don't want to get rid of too much...

View more questions Search