Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Galveston1 Posts: 362, Reputation: 53

Jul 12, 2007, 07:01 PM
    Computer hangs up frequently
    My computer seems to be getting progressively worse about hanging up. Not just one program but several, OE, Netzero, exec, and others. I use cntrl/alt/del and the message simply tells me the program is not responding (well duh!). Sometimes it will even hang up on close down and the only thing to do is to turn it off. (not recommended). It is a Dell desktop, Windows 98 SE, Pentium II, 8 gig hd, 192 OMB Ram, 1.76 gig free on hd. Updated Norton anti-virus detects nothing. Hang up occurs when on line. Any ideas?
    I just got it back from a professional and got very little for my money.
    benn11 Posts: 1,036, Reputation: 43
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2007, 03:27 AM
    Norton Antivirus can have such effect especially on a slow machine. Unistall Norton and download AVG and its free!

After you install AVG, Do system maintance: run Disk defragmenter and cleanup
    Miro Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2007, 11:14 AM
    Hi did u try scanning the PC because from your discription it is a virus
    gamer Posts: 45, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2007, 03:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Galveston1
    My computer seems to be getting progressively worse about hanging up. Not just one program but several, OE, Netzero, exec, and others. I use cntrl/alt/del and the message simply tells me the program is not responding (well duh!). Sometimes it will even hang up on close down and the only thing to do is to turn it off. (not recommended). It is a Dell desktop, Windows 98 SE, Pentium II, 8 gig hd, 192 OMB Ram, 1.76 gig free on hd. Updated Norton anti-virus detects nothing. Hang up occurs when on line. Any ideas?
    I just got it back from a professional and got very little for my money.
    This sounds like you have a lot of spyware,use adawre and spybot search$destroy to get rid of the spyware, also get rid of Norton it will slow your PC done using way too much rescoures.
    Click start >run>type msconfig click the startup tab uncheck all you don't need at startup.
    Galveston1 Posts: 362, Reputation: 53

Jul 18, 2007, 07:03 PM
    Thanks for your answers. I had scanned and found no virus. Have trashed the Norton and got AVG. I already ran search & destroy, without change. Time will tell if the AVG has made it better. If all else fails I may format the hd and start over!
    quiero_matarme Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2007, 03:15 AM
    Spywares and addwares might be a problem, but I believe that your computer is very slow. If you use heavy programs your PC may not be able to run them. Also check the processes at the task manager (windows 98? Don't know if there is a task manager with processes but try it). If they are over 30 try ending some of them, but not the windows processes (they usually begin with "w"). This is quiet dangerous though. "msconfig" is a good idea. Go to the boot.ini and uncheck programs that start up with your PC and you do not need. Also try freeing up some space from the disk. If the problems are still appearing, then you will have to upgrade your PC! Try also increasing the physical memory (RAM)
    quiero_matarme Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2007, 03:17 AM
    Something else: when I had my old PC with windows 98 the same problem occurred to me too. Windows 98 finally may not be that good
    jocafer13 Posts: 19, Reputation: 2

Jul 26, 2007, 04:13 AM
    "It is a Dell desktop, Windows 98 SE, Pentium II, 8 gig hd, 192 OMB Ram, 1.76 gig free on hd."

This is your what System Unit has, right?(from above)

First, there are common(but major) problems why your computer is running slowly or is hanging up:
    1.)You have a Pentium II processor
    -Obviously it cannot handle software programs with a minimum software requirement of Pentium III or above.
    2.)You have a 192 MB RAM of Memory
    -Running too many programs on a RAM like this will absolutely slow down or hang up your computer since your Memory could only process 180 MB of all the programs running at a time.
    3.)You have 1.76 gig of free space left on your 8 gig hard drive
    -Generally, computers must have at least 35%-30% of 'untouched' free space on your hard drive to perform basic or passive functions run by the operating system, etc. Another major factor why your computer runs too slow.

I highly agree from the suggestions of the people above on defragmenting or cleaning up your hard drive but still it highly depends on how much you have from the common factors I listed above
    Naveen143 Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Jul 26, 2007, 05:13 AM
    Ok Friend This is My Idea Delete all Temp Files from Windows Floder and Prefetch Files and Documents and Settings all User's Local Setting Temp Files and Temp Internet Files and History and Recent Files and then restart the System.. and do Disk Cleanup and Disk Defrag and Scan the Virus in Safe Mode and Restart. I Think... If Not Sloved Sorry OK byeeeee.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Computer hang frequently [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, I am using windows xp with intel GBF865 motherboard, intel processor,1 gb ram ,avg internet sercurity, sygate firewall, and adaware. My system hang very frequently I change even smps and ram also but the result is same. I plan to format but when I try to install that time also its hange. And...

Computer hangs up while installing xp [ 4 Answers ]

Help me please! I am building my first PC based on the Asus K8V-X and AMD Sempron 2800+. I'm also using my old Nvidia video card, Soundblaster live, my old 80 gb Seagate hard drive and one Samsung pC3200 memory. The problem is ,the computer hangs up every time at the same spot whenever I...

Computer hangs [ 2 Answers ]

My comp get hanged very often some time the same programe open even if we don't open it why is it so?

Computer hangs after recognizing hardware [ 3 Answers ]

I have a home built computer that has been running perfectly for about 5 yrs. It has an MSI (K7T266 pro2), one gig of RAM, 1.6 AMD Athlon chip running win xp pro. As of this morning the machine boots to the point of recognizing the hardware and whether its working etc, at this point it hangs and...

Windows xp hangs frequently [ 3 Answers ]

Please help me... Windows xp keeps getting stuck after every few minutes. Whenever I open the task manager, it shows that a process called svchost.exe is utilizing 100% of my cpu process time. It normalizes if kept idle for some time but the problem reappears.

View more questions Search