Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jb1869 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2007, 06:15 PM
    Netgear mr814 wireless router
    I have set up my wireless router, and I cannot see it on the connections screen for my wireless laptop... I see plenty of other wireless routers, just not mine. Please help.
    slandi Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2007, 08:08 PM
    Hi JB,

I've had similar experiences with this type of router. When you set it up did you check that you are actually broadcasting the SSID? This is usually found in the security settings and is simply a checkbox where you can enable or disable the broadcast of the SSID.

The SSID is used to send out a signal to tell other computers and/or laptops that a wireless access point is available and what it's name is. If you cannot see your Netgear router's wireless connection and yet can see others around you I would certainly look at the SSID broadcast first.

Now having said this, you may simply want to configure your notebook's wireless connection manually with the name of your wireless router's connection, again set up within the configuration of the Netgear router. To do this go back into the setup of the Netgear and take careful note of the name of the wireless connection. In the case of Netgear I believe it's actually "Netgear" without the quotes. Then go to your laptop's wireless configuration and set up a wireless network connection with the name "Netgear" as if you actually found it within the detected wireless networks.

However, I would just try making sure the SSID broadcast is enabled first to see if your laptop does 'see' the wireless connection of the router.

If none of this still does not seem to work, then go through the Netgear manual and do a complete reset of the router. The instructions for this should be in the manual. Once the unit is reset to the default parameters try detecing the wireless again and then make sure the SSID is being broadcast.

Hope this helps.

Stefano

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Laptop can't see Netgear wireless router in same room [ 3 Answers ]

I am getting excellent wireless connectivity between (XP Home) laptop and Netgear Router/modem (connected by ethernet cable to my (XP Pro) PC) between 2 floors, but have another laptop (XP Home) in same room as router, which doesn't see router/network, etc. This laptop has an Intel Pro wireless...

Use my NETGEAR WGR614 v5 Wireless router as a WAP? [ 1 Answers ]

Ok, so everyone said this would be easy. The kid at (insert popular electronics store here) said it would be no problem to use my already owned/unused router to set up a WAP that will connect with the other router in the house, so I can 1: hook my vonage device into my router, and 2:...

Reconfigure netgear router [ 2 Answers ]

How do I reconfigure my netgear WGR614v2 to use a different gateway address than 192.168.0.1 ?

View more questions Search