Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    100fold1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2007, 06:12 PM
    Water Pouring out from under dash - 2001 Ram 1500
    There is water pouring out by the AC unit in my 2001 Dodge Ram pickup. I took apart as much as I dared and disconnected the AC fan; when I make a left turn the water just comes pouring out from what I think is the AC unit. Oh, I can smell anti-freeze too. I am concerned about the cost of repair. Is this something I can fix on my own?
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jul 12, 2007, 06:50 PM
    Sounds like a heater core. Have you ever done anything like this before?
    100fold1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2007, 08:21 PM
    No, is it difficult? I was an Electronic Tech in the Navy and am a fairly competent troubleshooter but have limited mechanical experience. I am not afraid of tacking a jod though. What should I expect a garage to charge for this?
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jul 13, 2007, 04:51 AM
    I'd recommend a qualified, ASE certified shop.
    The job itself is a sequence of nuts and bolts, but to access the heater core the whole HVAC case has to come out. To pull the HVAC case the A/C refridgerant has to be recovered first. Special equipment is necessary, both to recover and to echarge the system.

Short term: you could loop the heater core inlet hose back to the engine. This would allow you to drive the vehicle until repairs can be arranged.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jul 13, 2007, 08:40 AM
    Sounds like a problem with the Heater Control Valve--shouldn't be too difficult to replace. Normally, open hood and remove cover along firewall for access.
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2007, 09:11 AM
    The heater core is like a small radiator inside your car... When heat is required one hose
    Supplies hot coolant to it and other hose is the return path to the engine...

Like a previous entry I suggest you fix it during summer by bypassing heater, couple two
    Heater hoses and head to a radiator shop... It would probably be cheaper if you remove
    The heater core and take it in for repair...

I don't know where I'm going but I'm making good time

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2001 Dodge 1500 radio removal and dash bezel [ 5 Answers ]

How to remove the radio in a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500.

Dash or bezel removal, 2000 dodge ram 1500, procedure [ 1 Answers ]

I bought a 2000 Ram 1500 which had been stolen, previously, and the radio was removed (I'm guessing it was at the same time). Now I have an OEM replacement, so to speak, and I need to remove the 'bezel' (I think it may be called... ) or the dash around the instrument panel/radio in order to...

View more questions Search