Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mikembears Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2007, 05:46 PM
    Hippa 3rd party involvement
    Hello,

Mike here and I have a question in regards as to if there is a hipaa violation in the following scenario. A University has a dental college and after closing they have a dental on call person for emergencies. A patient who calls the dental office emergency line gets the University's Public Safety evening or late evening dispatcher, who have no medical traing other than sometimes CPR. The patients are basically asking for help due to dental work or problems there from, which pertains to the work done at the University dental school. The dispatcher fields the call, even sometimes gives them aspirin or band aid advice, and then pages the on call dental person to call them and relay the patient's problem and number so the on call can contact them. I have no idea, other than it must be cheaper, as to why Public Safety is involved in the process... open to liabilty in my opinion. Pleas advise and thanks!

Mike:cool:
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Jul 25, 2007, 06:51 AM
    I doubt there is an issue here. Any time you call a doctor's office, the people answering the phone/scheduling appoitments are not clinically trained medical employees. However, any person working in a medical office has to sign a HIPPA privacy agreement and most likely have to watch a HIPPA training video once/year.
    This system is widely used for any on-call doctor situation... during work or after hours. The University's "Public Safety" employees are probably better able to field these calls than if they hired a bunch of phone operators to do the same job. At least these people have some training to Triage the situation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit card debt & a 3rd party collector [ 3 Answers ]

To be honest my credit card debt to American Express has gotten up to about $12,000 because of all the interest. It has been sent to GC Services, a third party collector. I am in school and will be done for the summer in about a month and will be working full-time then but am only working...

3rd Party Staffing Agency Worth While? [ 3 Answers ]

I am interested in a professional opinion regarding the third party staffing agency that has a few jobs that they are looking to fill for companies, and then finding individuals with resumes to fill them. I have been to a temp agency before and found a job, but want to know if it is worth while to...

3rd party deposit error on my credit card [ 3 Answers ]

A company has mistakenly deposited close to £2000 on my credit card. Can they take the money back out of my account? If not, how long before the money becomes mine legally?

How to work as a 3rd party staffing company [ 1 Answers ]

I have recently formed a new staffing company. I have couple of questions 1) How to work as a 3rd party staffing company and make sure that we are not kicked off. For Eg. Let say there is an opening in company 'A' . Ompany 'A' contacted a staffing company 'B' to fill this position. 'B' then...

3rd Party Legal Entitlement on Unsecured Debt [ 10 Answers ]

Hello, Even though this is my first post on AskMeHelpDesk, I have frequented the site on a semi-regular basis. Generally, my questions are already answered. But, I think I have a problem with this one. :confused: I have an Unsecured Debt, (Credit Card), that was charged off and sold to a...

View more questions Search