Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MrsZamaro Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2007, 03:06 PM
    Statutory rape
    I was raped 3 1/2 yrs ago and have a child as a result. I was to terrified to say anything at the time being 17 yrs old myself. The rapist was 21. How long do I have to report this? My husband and I don't want this guy to get away with this. Any help?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 12, 2007, 03:11 PM
    Where are you located. Some states 17 is considered a legal age of consent.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jul 12, 2007, 04:16 PM
    Just to add to J_9’s response...

If you were raped though, no matter what age, that can still be prosecuted as well.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 12, 2007, 05:30 PM
    The statue of limitation varies by state ( or nation if in Canada or mexico or England, or France ** you did not say where you were at)

But report it, and go from there.

Jul 13, 2007, 01:39 AM
    It was in Arizona... and I want to report it but I no longer have evidence or anything to support what I say happened. Should I file rape or statutory rape? Is there a difference?
    Squiffy Posts: 499, Reputation: 84

Jul 13, 2007, 01:45 AM
    Reporting it is the best thing to do, but you need to remember you are not all that likely to get a conviction. It is hard for a conviction immediately after an attack like this, three years later and with no evidence will be very hard. However if you were under the legal age of consent and they can dna match the baby to him, that will make your case stronger. Rape is a very hard crime to prove, which is why so many rapists go unpunished. Date rape even harder as its one parties word against the other.
    Best thing to do is go to the police and ask what they suggest.

Jul 13, 2007, 01:51 AM
    Thanks for that advice. I think that's what I'll have to do,just go to the authorities and ask questions. My daughter has already been DNA matched to him and sadly he gets to see her and I can't stand it. I always wished I was strong enough to do something about it when I had the chance and at least protect my daughter but I didn't, and I'm living with that now. Thanks for the helpful answers if you have any more info please tell... in the meantime just pray.
    Thanks!!
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2007, 06:50 AM
    For a 3 1/2 year rape, I doubt that the statute of limitations has expired. However, gathering enough physical evidence so late after the fact may make it hard to build a case sufficient to convict him.

Jul 14, 2007, 01:58 PM
    Well I can still at least get him convicted of statutory rape given my age and the age of my daughter right?
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2007, 03:21 PM
    MrsZ, the legal age of consent in Arizona is 18. So yes, you can file charges against him for statutory rape. The best thing for you to do is to find a rape crisis center in your area. Speak with someone there. They will be in the best position to advise you as to what your options are and what you can expect from the court system.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 14, 2007, 04:07 PM
    Go to your local District Attorney's office. Since 18 is the Age of consent in AZ, and since you can show conception had to occur before you were 18, then it would appear he was guilt of statutory rape at the least. Even if it was consensual, its statutory.

However, do not be surprised if the DA declines to prosecute. That might happen.

In any case, you need to see a rape counselor to deal with your feelings.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Statutory Rape? [ 11 Answers ]

Hi! Does anyone know the laws in Florida? Can a 16 year old girl be charged of statutory rape by the parents of a 14 year old boy? Please help me. This is very important.

Statutory rape. [ 3 Answers ]

Dear Readers, from what i beleive, statutory rape is anyone who is older than Age of Consent, And someone who is younger, i am currently 14 and live in Canada, and my boyfriend has just turned 18. i will soon be 15 ( March ):) and Canadian Age Of Consent Laws Age Is 14.:) does...

Statutory rape [ 1 Answers ]

I am a 19 year old guy who lives in Alberta, Canada & had a sexual intercourse with a 16 year old girl. Can I get charged with statutory rape by her parents? Im not really sure what the age of consent here in Alberta Canada.. please help me

Statutory Rape? [ 3 Answers ]

Would it be considered illegal for me, a 16 year old to be dating and having sex with an 18 year old, in New York?

Hello - Statutory Rape? [ 8 Answers ]

In 2004, I met a guy who was involved with an acquaintance who had been dating him for years on end. She introduced me to him as he was seventeen, I was twenty at the time, blah blah blah.. I began dating him shortly thereafter. His family welcomed me in and told me that we had to be careful that...

View more questions Search