Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    melj Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2005, 09:25 PM
    Thermostat setup
    I had a new thermostat installed in December 2004 - the heating has worked all winter. Now the central air does not work. The fan also does not work (switch from auto to on doesn't do anything.) The thermostat is a Honeywell CT3200, configuration as follows:

R - Red
    Rc - Orange
    W - White
    Y - Black
    G - Blue

None of the wires are labelled, and my previous thermostat was also a 5-wire system (Rh, Rc, W, Y, G). The AC worked fine with it.

Unfortunately I was not around at the time of wiring, so I don't know where the wires were in the previous thermostat, or if they're in the same configuration again.

Any help would be appreciated.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2005, 05:31 AM
    The furnace should have about the same terminals. What you need to do is to have the same wires connected the same terminals at the thermostat and furnace. You wire colors are nt the standard ones. The black wire needs to run from the Y terminal on the thermostat to the Y terminal on the furnace, and then to the coil of the A/C.

This is the standard set up. Adapt your wire colors to it.
    Usually there is a 24 volt AC transformer in the furnace with the secondary winding connected to a red wire running to the thermostat and a blue wire, common, to the gas valve, A/C relay, and fan relay. From the thermostat there will be white wire to the gas valve, yellow to the A/C, and green to the fan. The thermostat is wired to switch the power from the red to the white, yellow, and green as needed with the blue completing the circuit. Most thermostats and furnaces have the contacts labeled R, B or C, W, Y, and G for the corresponding wire colors. It may be wired to have the A/C control wires return to the furnace and its controls and then a second wire goes to the A/C unit. Internal wiring may replace the green wire if the thermostat does not give you the option of fan only or continuous fan. Digital or programmable thermostats may need the blue wire connected to them.
    melj Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2005, 10:49 AM
    Well good news... my neighbour was getting AC installed today and she slept in, leaving the poor HVAC guys stranded on her driveway for awhile. They agreed to come in and fix me up at no charge, so it's all good now!

Black and white wires were swapped out!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New Above Ground Pool Setup [ 1 Answers ]

I am about to set up a new 24' Above Ground Pool and could use a little Advice. I am going to be using foam board instead of sand, will I still need to dig up all existing grass or can it just be killed out. The only reason I would like not to disturb the ground very much is that it is very level...

How to setup the background on the crt-alt-del screen [ 0 Answers ]

How to setup the background on the crl-alt-del screen? How to setup the different background between win wallpaper and crl+alt+del screen? Please help, thanks.

How can I setup a web server ? [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone please give me directions how to built my personal webserver in WinXP pro? :confused:

Setup VB package [ 0 Answers ]

Hi.. When I want to run setup.exe for my VB package into Windows 2000 professional this message appeared ; "Setup cannot continue because some system files are out of date on your system. Click OK If you would like setup to update these files for you now. You will need to restart Windows...

View more questions Search