Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    VeraStrumolo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2007, 06:26 PM
    MY SLOW COMPUTER-maybe registry files?
    Hi! You wouldn't believe just how long it took me just to log onto this site. My computer is running extremely slow. I have a gut feeling it is my registry files. I degfragged, ran diagnostics, cleaning up my files, etc. Nothing works. I have downloaded a Registry Cleaner file, but, of course, when I go to run it, my computer just locks up. I cannot even run anything to actually FIX my computer now. I have been working for 3 days on this computer just to try to fix it. I am at my wits end now. Can anyone actually help me at all with this? I don't know what else to do now. I even picked a restore point from two months ago, and that didn't even work. Someone please help me... I have a Windows XP 2002. Vera
    Wit and Itch Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Jul 11, 2007, 06:59 PM
    Go to
    Slow Computer

It will explain step by step.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jul 12, 2007, 01:11 AM
    When was the last time you did some serious system maintenance on your machine ?
    Here's my usual C&P for cases like this:

Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben's maintenance tips
    When was the last time you did some serious maintenance on your system ?

System maintenance includes:
    Defrag
    FULL patching
    Virus scanning
    Spyware scanning
    removal of rubish files

Defrag is an inbuilt function in XP.
    Open My Computer > Right click C: > Tools Tab and its there.

To make sure everything is running fine run both anti virus and anti spyware apps in normal AND safe modes. (make sure that they are updated first ! ;)) (AVG is good and free AV)
    (A couple of good removal tools are Spybot and Adaware)

ALso an on line virus and spyware scanner is Trend Housecall

Just a note; actively running two AV's on one machine can cause problems.
    So if you are thinking about it make sure your current one is disabled first.
    Same thing applies to online scanners as well.

Removal of junk files is easy with CCleaner a free app that does exactly what

If all this fails then a repair install may be in order:

Here's the official Micro$oft way of doing it,
    and Here's one with screen shots.

Basically this installs windows over the top of your current setup.
    So you don't loose any information you already have.
    This lot should resolve your issue.
    benn11 Posts: 1,036, Reputation: 43
    Ultra Member

Jul 12, 2007, 05:42 AM
    Download AVG, just to scan your PC for potential infections!
    jonbee47 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2007, 08:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by VeraStrumolo
    Hi! You wouldn't believe just how long it took me just to log onto this site. My computer is running extremely slow. I have a gut feeling it is my registry files. I degfragged, ran diagnostics, cleaning up my files, etc. Nothing works. I have downloaded a Registry Cleaner file, but, of course, when I go to run it, my computer just locks up. I cannot even run anything to actually FIX my computer now. I have been working for 3 days on this computer just to try to fix it. I am at my wits end now. Can anyone actually help me at all with this?? I don't know what else to do now. I even picked a restore point from two months ago, and that didn't even work. Someone please help me..... I have a Windows XP 2002. Vera
    Mine was like that I had c cleaner installed but no joy,I had avg which when ran said no virus,I bought reg cure on the net for 20$ and it fixed it fine,I didn't want to pay (last resort)but it worked and has done so ever since it has a 30 day return policy,I live in england but my card paid in $.ithink that your PC is infected by going on spurious sites mine tends to become infected after other people use it,hope you get better soon.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Instructions on Manually Removing Norton Files from System Registry [ 1 Answers ]

I have tried to uninstall 2005 Norton Internet Security through the add and remove option of windows as well as use the removal tool that Norton provides but I still have issues with Norton files listed in the registry. Do you know where I can get directions for manually removing the remaining...

Computer getting slow down [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, The performance of my windows XP is very slow. But if I disconnect my computer from the network it becoming very fast. This is happening with almost all computers. I am sure there is no any virus or any other threats. Is this happeining because of network broadcasting or any...

My computer is infected with rvhost.exe and registry editing option is disabled [ 2 Answers ]

Hi pple, My Computer in infected with RVHOST.exe worm I had tried many antiviruses but they couldn't help me, and also this virus has blocked my task manager and registry edition options and it hide the folder option from tool menu of explorer, when I want to edit the registry it says that...

Can you have 2 Registry Cleaner on your Computer? [ 1 Answers ]

I have Windows XP Home, and have TuneUp Utilities 2006 which has a Registry Cleaner. I just purchased Max Spyware Detector, on promo I can get the Max Registry Cleaner. Can you have 2 Registry Cleaners on one computer? Thank You :)

Slow computer [ 8 Answers ]

What causes the computer to be so slow or sluggish in return responses? It seems like it takes forever to go from 1 website to another or between links within the site.

View more questions Search