Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dotcomma Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2007, 04:13 PM
    No power to monitor
    Hi~

I'm new to the site and I've just read all the threads about monitors not working--great info. But I didn't see anything about my mystery w/ my HP MX704 monitor:

While still running, the monitor went dead. It stopped getting power. I wasn't there when it happened, but when I came back to my desk, the monitor wasn't just black but had no light on the on/off switch--but the CPU was still on, as were the printer, speakers, everything else. I rebooted twice: still no juice to the monitor.

I don't know much about computer innards, but I did try plugging into different sockets, re-plugging the cable, checking for bent pins, dusting, and begging. So.. . Is it a bad power cable? A dead monitor? (It is on a lot.) Something else? Like what?

Any help you can give me is greatly appreciated. Thx!

~dotcomma
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 11, 2007, 05:58 PM
    Sounds like the power supply burnt out.
    dotcomma Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2007, 06:21 AM
    Thx, Scott. Makes sense, since everything else is still on. So are you saying the monitor is history? Or just the power cord?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 12, 2007, 06:31 AM
    The monitor. There is a power supply in the monitor that provides power from the outlet to the circuitry in the monitor. Replacing that is probably going to cost more than a new one.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Monitor colors faded (Monitor color problem) [ 5 Answers ]

I have an envision flat screen monitor and the issue is I had a worm on my computer so I had to reboot it.When the startup came up the colors were faded in a blueish light hue . I updated the drives but still nothing worked. I don't know if it's the monitor or vga cable or just the video card in...

"No Signal" on Monitor; PC power on but not booting up [ 5 Answers ]

I have a PC I built about 6 months ago that I've never had any problems with. Now when I turn it on I get "no signal" on my monitor. The problem is not the monitor though... the PC does not give any "beeps" or show signs of booting up... though the lights are on, all components seem to be...

Car won't start, no click and no power to radio, power window or locks [ 6 Answers ]

After installing a new starter on a 1999 2WD Explorer it will not start. There is no click when trying to start it, its just dead, and the radio, power locks/windows, a/c, and dash light don't work but the interior lights work and so do the headlights. We've had the starter checked to make sure...

Monitor does not power on [ 11 Answers ]

Hello I have a problem with my monitor. I turn on my PC and the CPU light and disk drive lights come on (and look as though they begin to load) but my monitor does not come on at all (just sits in standby mode!) I just cannot get past this point! My Operating system is Windows XP home edition...

Monitor [ 1 Answers ]

I want to upgrade my poop monitor but I have no idea where to start, I want a widescreen HD 19+ inch plasma monitor for as cheap as possible, can anyone give me advice? Regards- eric

View more questions Search