Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    startover22 Posts: 2,758, Reputation: 363
    Ultra Member

Jul 11, 2007, 03:58 PM
    Spider Bite?
    Ok, a little girl that I babysit for has a big spider bite about a dime size bite a few inches from her groin, it has little white spots on top, like a pimple would but like 10 of them, it is extremely painful and is bright red with a "moon dog" around it about the size of a palm that is also red and hard to the touch. I gave her benedryl and I was going to put a little baking soda and water on it too. What else can I do I called her mom and told her I thought she needed to go to the doctor.
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Jul 11, 2007, 04:03 PM
    It sounds to me like it is a spider bite. How old is she? How long ago did she get it? What part of the U.S. do you live in? It sounds to me like it may be a Brown Recluse. My cousin got bit by one on the back, and they had to remove a lot of the skin on his back to prevent the poison from spreading any further.

Just to be safe, I would take her to the ER!
    Ultra Member

Jul 11, 2007, 04:08 PM
    She is six, and when I called her mother she said she would get her an appointment if it doesn't go away. She got it yesterday. I am worried to tell you the truth. I can't MAKE her mom do anything though. I did stress that I thought she needed to get in today! Western Oregon! Brown Recluse are common..
    Ultra Member

Jul 11, 2007, 04:13 PM
    I'm working on getting you some information. Does it seem like it bothers her a whole lot? I mean, is it interfering with her playing, eating, etc. Does she seem sick? Nauseated or anything like that?

If it is interfering with the normal life of a six year old that is an indicator that she needs to go to the doctor. Kids know when they don't feel good! :)
    Ultra Member

Jul 11, 2007, 04:25 PM
    Everything is pointing to it being either a Brown Recluse bite or a Hobo Spider bite. The rapid amount of time in which it grew (since yesterday.. wow!) makes me think Brown Recluse.

If this is the case, she needs to get to the ER.. ASAP! The poison in a Brown Recluse spider bite eats away at your skin, almost like gangrene! If it gets bad enough, the section of the bite will need to be removed!

Encourage her mother to take her to the ER! The sooner the better! :)
    Ultra Member

Jul 11, 2007, 04:28 PM
    I am now thinking real hard that she had a tummy ache yesterday from early afternoon till late afternoon. I am frightened. I am calling her mother back Thanks so much!
    Ultra Member

Jul 11, 2007, 04:30 PM
    I can post a picture of a bite if you would like to compare it. Would you like that?
    Ultra Member

Jul 11, 2007, 04:36 PM
    Yes please!
    Ultra Member

Jul 11, 2007, 04:37 PM
    This is only a few hours after being bitten. Hers would look similar, but would be much bigger!

Name:  spider bite.jpg
Views: 521489
Size:  23.2 KB
    Ultra Member

Jul 11, 2007, 04:48 PM
    Yes, I swear I just Google Brown recluse spider bite images, and saw this too. There are so many I just am not sure but if it were my child I wouldn't take that chance. I am waiting for her to call me back. She is probably rolling her eyes at me right now, but I am sincerely worried. I know the benedryl is setting in, she is sleeping on my bed right now. I just want her to slow down when she comes to get her and look at what I found. Dang it. I hate not being taken seriously... Thanks so much for your help. You have been wonderful.
    Ultra Member

Jul 11, 2007, 04:50 PM
    You're welcome. I know you don't want to go against the mother's wishes, but just remember, the child is in your care and you are responsible for her. If anything bad happens, this seems like the type of mother that would hold you responsible to prevent herself from looking bad.

If she starts acting terribly ill, I would take her to the ER anyway. :)
    Ultra Member

Jul 11, 2007, 04:56 PM
    For sure I will, you don't have to worry about that for me!! I got the kiddos back if you know what I mean. Thanks Sweety!
    Ultra Member

Jul 11, 2007, 04:57 PM
    You're welcome and good luck! :)
    Ultra Member

Jul 11, 2007, 05:38 PM
    I called mom and she is coming, I tld her if she didn't, I would, I can be pretty tough when I need to be! Thanks for everything again!
    Ultra Member

Jul 12, 2007, 12:49 PM
    Keep me posted when you find out what it was! :)
    Ultra Member

Jul 12, 2007, 12:52 PM
    It was a spider bit that was infected, it started to blister (hence the white heads all over it) mom didn't think so but I told her. She is on antibiotics now ans should be good, needs to be looked at all through out the day to make sure the meds are working. Thanks for all your help. Start
    bikerangelchic Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2010, 11:52 PM
    Hey my girl was bitten by a spider too and I'm trying to find out what kind it could be to as well and it looks about the same and I'm trying to do research on it and found yours and her has a rash with it and its spreading and she's on meds. For the bit and I found a spider in side finally and its black and with three white dots on its back in a shape of a smiley face and done research on it and no one knows what kind it is.
    pillnitz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2011, 12:53 AM
    I just had spider bites a few months ago. I did not see the spider. But the bites (6) only three got bad, looked like the picture. But they grew fast, they had white volcano in the middle and bright red circle that kept on growing. By the next day, a circle around the white dot start looking darker than the outer bright red circle. By the time I got to the doctor, he had to cut off the middle (darker circle and the white dot) my skin cells were dying. I have the small circles (scars), I imagine for the rest of my life.

I did not think it was a brown recluse because I was bitten by one many years ago and I was rushed to the ER where I was treated right away. But at that time I had the spider, I saw it when I felt a bite on my leg under my shorts. I saved the spider thinking that it was not dangerous. But it was a good idea because the doctor knew exactly how to treat the bite. I remember that I was very sick for a long time.

This time I could not see the doctor right away because I had HMO and I could not find one near me inside my network. So, yes, I changed to PPO. By the way, I still feel neddles-like sensations from time to time on the area of the bites. It can be very serious and turn for the worse if not treated promptly.
    bjolly74 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2012, 10:58 AM
    See a Doctor for some antibiotics and testing... some spider bites are not affected by certain antibiotics.
    olivstu Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2013, 03:38 PM
    I live in nc what kind of spiders live here ? I just woke up and found a spider bite or what I think is one on my foot I just want to know for sure...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Spider bite [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: I visited Belize and Guatemala in February, 2007 and was bitten by a spider on my scalp. Since then I have had a rash on my scalp, shoulders, back and on the backs of my hands. It has settled on my scalp and shoulders. I want to know if this rash can be from the spider bite. ...

I think my bite is off [ 1 Answers ]

I just resently had an upper and lower partial plate and I think my bite could be off I;m having headaches and not feeling real well How would I know if my bite is off Thanks Anne

Spider bite --ouch! [ 9 Answers ]

Today, I took my puppy outside and felt a very sharp burning pain on my toe. I looked down I saw a black fury spider with white spots on my toe. I immediately brushed it off and went inside. Ok, I'm TERRIFIED of spiders so I ran inside kicking and screaming like a big baby! ;) THAT is when the...

If bite is off can it be bad [ 4 Answers ]

I had a crown pop off. The dentists recementated it and now my bite is off. I have already gone back once and he shaved and shaved and shaved. It's better but still not perfect should let it go or can it do damage to my jaw?

Spider Bite? [ 4 Answers ]

I have what I think may be a spider bite on the inside of my leg. Yesterday evening I noticed that my upper leg hurt so I lifted my pant leg. I have what looks like a large zit with a black dot in the middle. It's very painful and feels hard like a peanut M & M. It's itchy at times. The main part...

View more questions Search