Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BigLion Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2005, 08:20 AM
    Toilet Spews into basement
    Me and the wife are renovating a 1950's home bathroom (first floor). Every time we flushed the toilet the floor around the toilet got wet. When we go down to the basement we see raw sewage spilling from the bathroom.

A plumber came through and snaked the toilet out to the street. No fix. Then he tapped the air vent until finally he got the toilet flushing again.

A couple of days later, it began happening intermidently. My basement reeks! Because we are also moving the location of the shower I cut into the galvanized pipe and found that all 2'' was 90% clogged with gunk... and it stinks!! I've read your instructions on what to do (snake, then pour 1/4 gallon of bleach and the hot water thing). I think this may have something to do with my first problem.

Second problem: we are planning to turn the basement area into heated space and the last thing I want happening is for every time there's a clog, it spews sewage into the basement. Any advice? Oh, the shower connection to the mainline is a foot or so in front of the toilet connection; the air vent is behind the toilet connection and another toilet connection not in use is behind the air vent. Thanks in advance for your help.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 11, 2005, 12:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLion
    Me and the wife are renovating a 1950's home bathroom (first floor). Every time we flushed the toilet the floor around the toilet got wet. When we go down to the basement we see raw sewage spilling from the bathroom.

A plumber came through and snaked the toilet out to the the street. No fix. Then he tapped the air vent until finally he got the toilet flushing again.

A couple of days later, it began happening intermidently. My basement reeks! Because we are also moving the location of the shower I cut into the galvinized pipe and found that all 2'' was 90% clogged with gunk...and it stinks!!! I've read your instructions on what to do (snake, then pour 1/4 gallon of bleach and the hot water thing). I think this may have something to do with my first problem.

Second problem: we are planning to turn the basement area into heated space and the last thing I want happening is for everytime there's a clog, it spews sewage into the basement. Any advice? Oh, the shower connection to the mainline is a foot or so in front of the toilet connection; the air vent is behind the toilet connection and another toilet connection not in use is behind the air vent. Thanks in advance for your help.
    You think the cause of your problems is bleach and hot water? I'd sure like a explanation for that line of reasoning. Tapped the air vent? Are you referring to a mechanical vent? If so then it sounds like you have a faulty vent and this lets solids drop and build up into a blockage. Where did the plumber snake from? A vent? Pulled the toilet and snaked from the closet bend? Other? Where, exactly did he run into the blockage?
    Any other fixtures back up? Tub, floor drain? Or was it just the toilet itself that overflowed and ran down into the basement? Water should have backed up in the shower, did it? Please go into more detail. Thanks, Tom

Jul 12, 2005, 05:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    You think the cause of your problems is bleach and hot water? I'd sure like a explanation for that line of reasoning. Tapped the air vent? Are you referring to a mechanical vent? If so then it sounds like you have a faulty vent and this lets solids drop and build up into a blockage. Where did the plumber snake from? A vent? Pulled the toilet and snaked from the closet bend? Other? Where, exactly did he run into the blockage?
    Any other fixtures back up? Tub, floor drain? Or was it just the toilet itself that overflowed and ran down into the basement? Water should have backed up in the shower, did it? Please go into more detail. Thanks, Tom
    Speedball1,
    Actually, I was saying that snaking, bleach and hot water might be the 'fix' for the blockage in my shower (former tub floor drain). Thought maybe the shower's build up was seeping out and blocking the toilet's pathway since its connection sits in front of it on the mainline. However, I tried it last night and now water is still backed up in the shower.

The plumber pulled and snaked from the toilet. I told him that the tub (now the shower) had been backing up as well.

The vent I was referring to was a cast iron pipe in the wall (b/c I'm renovating you could see it) that goes to the roof. He "slow flushed" (a term he used) the toilet and tapped on this vent pipe. After awhile you heard a hissing, suction noise and the toilet began flushing.

He never ran into any major blockage, which baffled him. The vent tapping slow flush maneuver was his second attempt at it after the snaking didn't work. The spewing comes from my toilet. Hope these details help. Think it's the vent?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 12, 2005, 10:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLion
    Speedball1,
    Actually, I was saying that snaking, bleach and hot water might be the 'fix' for the blockage in my shower (former tub floor drain). Thought maybe the shower's build up was seeping out and blocking the toilet's pathway since its connection sits in front of it on the mainline. However, I tried it last night and now water is still backed up in the shower.

The plumber pulled and snaked from the toilet. I told him that the tub (now the shower) had been backing up as well.

The vent I was referring to was a cast iron pipe in the wall (b/c I'm rennovating you could see it) that goes to the roof. He "slow flushed" (a term he used) the toilet and tapped on this vent pipe. After awhile you heard a hissing, suction noise and the toilet began flushing.

He never ran into any major blockage, which baffled him. The vent tapping slow flush maneuver was his second attempt at it after the snaking didn't work. The spewing comes from my toilet. Hope these details help. Think it's the vent?
    If the shower drain wasn't clear it wouldn't have backed up from the toilet main.
    I've never heard of a "slow flush". Would that be just lifting the handle up a little ways and letting the water seep out of the tank? And for the life of me I can't see what could possibility be gaining by "tapping" on a cast iron vent. Did he explain why he was doing that?
    No two ways about it. Your boy missed the blockage. It also sounds like the vent itself might be blocked. Did he snake from the vent? Did he even check it?( And I don't mean "tapping" on it) Did the "hissing" sound come from the toilet? Backup only occur when the discharge hits a clog. The plumber missed the boat on something. He just has to come back and find out what it was. Don't accept a song and dance, slow flush here and tap-tap there. You're paying for results and he left you in the same shape as when he walked in the door. Good luck, Tom

Jul 12, 2005, 12:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    If the shower drain wasn't clear it wouldn't have backed up from the toilet main.
    I've never heard of a "slow flush". Would that be just lifting the handle up a little ways and letting the water seep out of the tank? And for the life of me I can't see what could possibility be gaining by "tapping" on a cast iron vent. Did he explain why he was doing that?
    No two ways about it. Your boy missed the blockage. It also sounds like the vent itself might be blocked. Did he snake from the vent? Did he even check it?( And I don't mean "tapping" on it) Did the "hissing" sound come from the toilet? Backup only occur when the discharge hits a clog. The plumber missed the boat on somthing. He just has to come back and find out what it was. Don't accept a song and dance, slow flush here and tap-tap there. You're paying for results and he left you in the same shape as when he walked in the door. Good luck, Tom
    Thanks Tom. Sounds like the plumber just got lucky (never actually fixed anything). No, he didn't snake the vent. The hissing came from the toilet. I'm willing to believe that it's the vent because despite the blocking and leakage there was absolutely no pressure when he released the cleanout valve. I've been reading your responses to similar cases and I feel a heck of lot more confident in questioning him when I get him back in there. Thanks for the help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing A Toilet In Basement [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a flange that attaches to the sewer pipe that is flush with the ground?? Have only found flange that is 3/4 of an inch too high.. thinking i need to recess it.

Toilet in basement -already has rough in [ 3 Answers ]

Hi we are installing a toilet in the basement of our new home. There is already a 4 inch stub that was left by the contractors. I have a couple of questions. 1.What kind of flange do we need for it to be flush with the concrete? Should we just buy a 3" flange and glue it into the four inch...

Basement Toilet Flush [ 4 Answers ]

Last year we remodeled the basement and added a bathroom. The toilet drain runs only about 3 feet and empties into an ejector pit with pump, shared by the sink and shower. It seems to work well. However, many times the toilet needs to be flushed 3 times to clear it. Plunging doesn’t really...

Moving a toilet in the Basement [ 4 Answers ]

I want to move my basement toilet to another location as part of a bathroom remodeling project. I have a cement floor. The toilet sits on top of a 2.5 inch build up of cement... kind of like a platform of some sort. The vent pipe appears to go into the cement and I assume connects to the toilet...

Temporary Basement Toilet [ 8 Answers ]

I have a new home with a totally unfinished basement. The plumbing (drains & vents) were roughed in by the builder. I want to install a toilet for temporary use while doing framing, etc Down there. At a later date I will probably install ceramic tile on that Bathroom floor. Presently, there...

View more questions Search