Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tallguy Posts: 30, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2007, 12:34 PM
    3 Questions about updating to a GFCI outlet
    I recently attempted to update a basic 3-prong outlet to a GFCI outlet (so that I could connect a do-it-yourself, low-voltage, exterior lighting kit to this outlet). It seemed to work for the most part, but I have three issues of concern.

1) The breaker for this circuit (and this outlet seems to be the only thing on this circuit) is a 20 amp breaker. Is it OK to use a 15 amp GFCI outlet? The old outlet is rated for 15A.

2) There were two cables coming into the outlet box. One had all three wires (white, black, bare) connected to the old outlet. The other had the white and black wires taped off, and the bare wire connected to the outlet's ground terminal along with the bare wire from the first cable. What could be the point of this? I attached the new outlet in the same manner.

3) My three-prong tester indicated that the new GFCI outlet was installed correctly, and when I pressed the test buttons (on the tester and the outlet itself) the circuit was tripped. However, when I plugged in the old lamp that was always connected to this outlet, there was a spark and the circuit tripped, and even left a small, black char on the outlet! When I connected a fax machine to the outlet as another test it seemed OK.

Two caveats: The plug on the lamp was wired by the previous home owner. Also, the old outlet indicated reversed hot/neutral when tested. There was never a problem using the lamp when it was connected to the old outlet.

That's a lot. Sorry to be so wordy. Thanks very much for any solutions.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2007, 02:33 PM
    My answers are in bold:

1) The breaker for this circuit (and this outlet seems to be the only thing on this circuit) is a 20 amp breaker. Is it OK to use a 15 amp GFCI outlet? The old outlet is rated for 15A.

Yes.

2) There were two cables coming into the outlet box. One had all three wires (white, black, bare) connected to the old outlet. The other had the white and black wires taped off, and the bare wire connected to the outlet's ground terminal along with the bare wire from the first cable. What could be the point of this? I attached the new outlet in the same manner.

Probably the taped wires were to an old outlet or some other device that has been removed or abandoned.

3) My three-prong tester indicated that the new GFCI outlet was installed correctly, and when I pressed the test buttons (on the tester and the outlet itself) the circuit was tripped. However, when I plugged in the old lamp that was always connected to this outlet, there was a spark and the circuit tripped, and even left a small, black char on the outlet! When I connected a fax machine to the outlet as another test it seemed OK.

If it tripped the GFI, then tester did what it is intended to. If it triped the breaker, we got to figure out why.

Seems there is a short (ground fault) in the lamp, it should be checked and repaired.

Two caveats: The plug on the lamp was wired by the previous home owner.

Is the lamp worth fixing?

Also, the old outlet indicated reversed hot/neutral when tested. There was never a problem using the lamp when it was connected to the old outlet.

Is the polarity correct now? Or is it still shows as reversed hot/neutral?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Updating Brick Fireplace [ 3 Answers ]

We need to update our fireplace (see photo attached below). The painted wood mantle is OK; we will enhance by covering the corners. And adding decorative trim. We dislike the two-tone brick and are cosidering tiling over it. What type of tile would we need; how do we prepare the current brick...

220 Outlets & GFCI Questions [ 3 Answers ]

I'm wanting to add some 220 outlets in the garage to run my woodworking equipment, and I have a couple of questions. First, can I run one 220 circuit with approximately 4 plugins on it? Only 1 piece of equipment will ever be used at one time (or does this violate code? ). Also, I'm under the...

Updating Printer Driver [ 12 Answers ]

I am trying to update my Lexmark X1185 All-In-One driver ( Ver. 1.0.0.0 to 2.0.2.2 ). I keep getting this error message:- C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\S32EVNT1.DLL. An installableVirtual Device Driver failed Dll initialization. Choose " Close " to terminate the application. ( Close or Ignore ). If I...

Trouble Updating Records Individually [ 3 Answers ]

I'm trying to update a table in Microsoft Access with the following SQL: UPDATE tblLastLDAP, tblGenex1 SET tblGenex1.SURROGATEID = Left(!,6) & Int((99-1+1)*Rnd()+1); I want the records to each be set to a number between 1 and 99 (+ the beginning info), but the result of the SQL above sets all...

View more questions Search