Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    luv2spend Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2007, 09:30 AM
    401k penalties
    My husband is switching jobs and we do not know which route to take for his 401k
    He has 30,000.00 in 401k
    Do we roll it into a cd or ira ?If so can we withdrawl out of the cd or ira without paying federal or state income taxes on it or should we just withdraw it straight out of the 401k.
    We want to pay off some notes .
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 11, 2007, 09:35 AM
    If you do not either leave it in the 401K if possible, or if you do not roll it over into another IRA or 401K, you will pay not only state and federal taxes but also pay a 10 percent fee for taking it out.

You can roll it over into another qualified plan with no loss.
    But depending on your tax status you would be paying out at least 10,000 of it if you put it into a CD in taxes and penalties.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 11, 2007, 09:43 AM
    What is the interest rate on those notes? Look at it this way. Lets say the interest is 10%. Lets say also that your 401K generrally earns a 7.5% yield.

Now if you take out the $30K, you lose around $10K of it in taxes and penalties ($3k in penalties, $6K in taxes). Will paying the notes save you more that that?

Taking it out the 401K is really NOT a good idea. Your best bet is to roll it over into the new job's plan.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 11, 2007, 10:06 AM
    Roll the money into a rollover IRA with one of the big brokerage firms (I prefer Charles Schwab, but ScottTrade and Fidelity are just fine as well).

Once the rollover is complete, you have a vast choice of where you can invest the money (CDs, stocks, bonds, mutual funds, whatever).

Do the rollover from custodian-to-custodian (the brokerage house will help with the process). That way, NO taxes will be due and YOU will have control of the money and HOW to invest it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401k early withdraw penalties [ 16 Answers ]

I am considering quiting my present job and using my 401k money to open a business and was wondering what percentage of the balance that I would be subject to loose?

401k penalties [ 2 Answers ]

I recently left a temp job (2 years) and have about 25k in the 401k. While I know that the smart move is to roll the 401k into an IRA, I could actually use the money for some home expenses. I am in the 28% tax bracket. How much of the 25k could I expect to see after taxes/penalties?

401k penalties [ 4 Answers ]

I am wondering if you can tell me what the total penalty and taxes will be if I withdraw $8500. From my 401k? I am recently divorced and really need money to replace my car (unfortunatly I can't afford a car payment right now). Thanks

401k Taxes & Penalties [ 1 Answers ]

I am 56 years old and am close to losing my job. I have approximately $21,000 in a 401k plan with my current employer. Will I be excluded from the 10% penalty because of my age? Will the entire amount of my withdrawal be treated as income for the year I receive the withdrawal?

401k penalties [ 2 Answers ]

I just lost my job after 32 years... what is the best way to handle my 401k without losing everything to taxes/penalties... I will need to withdraw some money to pay off some debt... answer needed asap thanks

View more questions Search