Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ptnoble Posts: 42, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2007, 08:04 AM
    Proper phone wire for new room
    Hi! I am remodeling and have the walls exposed down to the framing. Before we cover everything up with wall-board I would like to run wire for telephone jacks. What wire do I want to use? I want phone and DSL capability.

Is this stuff from Radio Shack adequate for DSL and 1 or two phone lines?

RadioShack.com - Phones & Radio Communications: Accessories: Corded & cordless phone accessories: Cords, cables & untanglers: Southwestern Bell 50-Ft. 4-Conductor Phone Cable
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2007, 07:58 PM
    Personally I like to run 2 CAT 5, or one of them CAT 5e for Data. While walls are exposed,
    Think, both sides of the wall, above, and below, I always consider Telephone, TV/Sat, Alarm, Speakers, Network, Antenna,?
    It doesn't get cheaper, easier, or more quick to run wires when walls not installed.
    If that room is office and wires run from there, provide wiring to those now.
    I would at least run 1 RG6, 1 Cat 5(4 pair/4 phone lines)
    2 cat 5 would be better if networking.(1 for phone and 1 for networking. I like to use DSL Filter at Incoming, then I use Brown pair for DLS. No need for filters all over the place.
    Blue pair line 1, white/blue to green on jack, blue/white to red on jack, orange 2nd pair,
    3rd pair is green.
    ptnoble Posts: 42, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2007, 08:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando
    Personally I like to run 2 CAT 5, or one of them CAT 5e for Data. While walls are exposed,
    think, both sides of the wall, above, and below, I always consider Telephone, TV/Sat, Alarm, Speakers, Network, Antenna,?.
    It doesn't get cheaper, easier, or quicker to run wires when walls not installed.
    If that room is office and wires run from there, provide wiring to those now.
    I would at least run 1 RG6, 1 Cat 5(4 pair/4 phone lines)
    2 cat 5 would be better if networking.(1 for phone and 1 for networking. I like to use DSL Filter at Incoming, then I use Brown pair for DLS. No need for filters all over the place.
    Blue pair line 1, white/blue to green on jack, blue/white to red on jack, orange 2nd pair,
    3rd pair is green.
    I hear you when you say it doesn't get easier than now. I have wireless ethernet in my house so I don't anticipate using the Cat5 for internet. But just to clarify, you are saying that if I run 1 Cat5 cable I can have up to 4 phone lines on that cable? Which also means it should be easy to use just one pair in the cable for one phone line? (the most likely scenario).

Thanks for the suggestions!
    PTN
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2007, 08:57 PM
    Yes, white/blue to green, blue/white to red on jack. Then have dsl filter in room.

If filter inserted at start of phone lines, use brown for DSL, and remove all filters. You will have double jack at computer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Proper wire sizing? [ 3 Answers ]

We are re-routing the supply line to our pump house, where there is an extension panel with 30A 220V (pump controller) and 15A & 20A 110V breakers. It's about a 60' run from the 200A main service in the house, being placed in conduit 2' underground. The wire in place is newer 10 gauge solid copper....

Proper phone ethics [ 2 Answers ]

Please teach me or give me a list of the proper phone ethics. Thanks

Proper gauge wire to run to hot tub? [ 5 Answers ]

I am trying to run wiring from my main service panel to a hot tub on our back porch. My father was an electrician, so I have a fairly good base of knowledge, but I wish he was alive to help me out. To save on the electrician install, I was going to install the 240 breaker in the box and then run...

Re wire phone jack [ 1 Answers ]

We are getting another phone line in kids room how do you rewire the jack

Wire size for Outlets in basement family room [ 6 Answers ]

I am finally getting around to doing our family room in the basement. I was wondering what size wire to pull for the outlets should I use 12/2 with ground or 14/2 with ground. Also putting in recess lights should I use 12/2 with ground for them or 14/2 with ground. Thanks T

View more questions Search