Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    konfuzed Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2007, 05:26 AM
    Per diem
    Can per diem be paid to employees who commute 40 miles or more to work, but do not stay away from home overnight? If so is this non taxable and if so, are receipts required?
    Or is the amount paid all taxable
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 11, 2007, 06:19 AM
    Per Diems are generally a daily stipend to pay for an employee's expenses when away from home. Whether they are taxable or not depends on the terms of your employment.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 18, 2007, 06:25 AM
    Per diem policies will vary from company to company. They aren't always regulated by law. So you have to consult your HR people.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Understanding Per Diem [ 5 Answers ]

Hello All, I am staying in Houston, Texas and now am posted on a project in Plano, Texas. My employer have allowed me to claim the per diem expenses for lodging and dining.So from IRS point of view if I claimed the maximum per diem amount (which is $153 for plano as per Pub 1542) do I have to...

Per Diem in CA [ 8 Answers ]

I have received a daily per diem from a company I work for in San Francisco. I have now been in CA for a year, but still travel home for a week every month. The company has now taken my Per Diem saying that the new CA law states that after a year of subsistence it can be taxed. I have looked for...

Tax on Per-Diem [ 9 Answers ]

Hi I would be transferred to Plano, TX on an L1 VISA for a period of ~2 years. I would only be paid charges in US for housing etc. (actuals), per-diem (1600 per month) and car-expenses. I will continue to be paid my basic salary at my primary place of employment. What are the tax...

Per Diem [ 1 Answers ]

As an employer, we pay per diem. I know I do not report it on their 1099's, but where would I claim it on our company tax return?

H1B and per diem and no w2 [ 1 Answers ]

H1B holder basic salary is paid in home country by home country employer who is in joint venture with H1B sponsor. Visa holder receives per diem amount in the US. He has not received any W2 or the like for 2005? What is his income for filing? Can he exclude the per diem payment? He is not from a...

View more questions Search