Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lilbdevil2k7 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2007, 10:37 PM
    Shoplifting caught under 50$ in NYC 18 yrs old
    Hello,
    I feel terrible, I've never done anything like this before, I just got greedy and chose not to pay for some items that amounted to 47$ and now I'm banned from the store and I'm getting a summons. I just turned 18 and the person taking care of the incident told me that if I had gone over 50$ I couldve gone to jail. I want to know if it is true that when I pay the summons the crime is cleared and how much the summons is going to be. He said that it would be twice or three times the amount I shoplifted, but I want to know exactly how much that is. I am so scared and I don't know what to do. People are going to think of me as a different person and I am not that type of person, I'm not untrustworthy and I do not have sticky fingers, I was just thinking like a very dumb person at the moment and I got penalized. The first and last time I do this I get caught and I want to know if it will really go into my record and for how long and how much the summons is actually going to be and how long do I have to pay it? And should I tell my mom and/or will she find out on her own if I don't tell her?

Confused young one...
    Please answer back.

I'm in New York city by the way... :confused: :(
    XenoSapien Posts: 627, Reputation: 42

Jul 14, 2007, 05:45 AM
    That sounds logical that you will pay two or three times the amount of the item, but you'll have to find out in court as to the exact amount. You can, although I'm unsure of the process, have your record cleaned.

XenoSapien
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2007, 06:00 AM
    Have you actually gotten the summons yet? Once you pay it, that amounts to a guilty plea and no, the crime isn't cleared, it goes on your record as a shoplifting conviction. You might want to try negotiating with the store by giving them a written apology in which you offer to reimburse them and agree to stay away from the store. I'd suggest an amount that's roughly double the $47 you stole, say $100, in exchange for them not pressing charges against you and calling off the summons. Just make sure that all offers and agreements are put in writing and get a receipt for anything you give them. If the complaint has already been signed, then they can simply agree not to report to court to testify against you. Then, on the scheduled court date, you show up and plead not guilty and say nothing more (your 5th amendment rights.) In the absences of any witnesses to testify against you, the judge will drop the charges. Now, if they insist on refusing to settle with you and going through with pressing charges, then make sure you let the judge know that you did offer to try and settle with them, hence the reason for the written apology, so that you can submit a copy to the judge.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Caught shoplifting in singapore [ 25 Answers ]

I was arrested for shoplifting in singapore.. am on employment pass.. they have put me under offence 380 ch 244 and one more offence(misc.).. I was stelaing clothes worth $80 in one shop and in my bag unfortunately had 3 more clothes.. 2 with price tags of 225 $ each and one without tag.. but...

Been caught out [ 4 Answers ]

Ive been going out with this lad for 3 weeks and the other night it ended over a stuiphed arugement well kind of. I told him that I didn't want to be with him anymore because he just wanted sex.I am not sure if I have made the right choice because he is saying that he didn't want sex

16 year old caught shoplifting in Maryland [ 4 Answers ]

This is her first offense. The amount was $90. She is banned from all Kmarts either for life or 10 years, wasn't sure on the paper. Her and her friend. What do you think her punishment will be. She is 16 and we live in prince george's county Maryland. We will have to go to court.

What are my options after Caught shoplifting-first offence in Canada [ 0 Answers ]

Hi All, I did this stupidest mistake last week. Yes it is shoplifting. I was caught shoplifting at Zellers , Ontario, Canada of $10 worth stuff. The LP officer took me to their back office, called cop and Cop got me this citation to appear in court next month. It happened last week, since then I...

After Being Caught Shoplifting [ 4 Answers ]

Im 17 yrs old, and my sister is 12. We live in Queen Anne's County, which is located in Maryland. We were caught shoplifting in our local Kmart, and they had said that they saw me blocking my younger sister while she unwrapped everything and put it into her purse, it was true, and we admitted to it...

View more questions Search