Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tymiller48 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2003, 11:49 AM
    FireWalls
    I understand that a firewall is for security purposes and I also understand that hardware and (software (such as Zone Alarm)) firewalls can be configured to block certain inward or outward traffic by specifying certain IP addresses or protocols such as udp, ftp, tcp, http, smtp and so on. What I don’t understand is how some hardware firewalls (such as one that I have) that are not configurable are capable of determining what is acceptable traffic and what is forbidden traffic. IS IT BECAUSE IT ACCEPTS ALL IN COMING TRAFFIC THAT YOU SOLICIT TO AND REJECTS ALL THE REST.
    elina Posts: 136, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2003, 01:18 AM
    Re: FireWalls
    tymiller48, hi, well, what brand of hardware firewall do you have? By default, it is standard that the protocols and rules are hard-coded into the hardware firewall. That is just the way most hardware firewalls are built; they follow certain industry standards and guidelines. Now if you are talking about HOW companies come up with these rules and protocols, you need to read their white technical papers which you can download from your company's website. Here, for example, try this: http://www.securitymetrics.com/secur...sappliance.adp
    daveslounge Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2003, 01:07 AM
    Re: FireWalls
    First, download ZoneAlarm, and get rid of that other crap.
    To answer your question...
    When a firewall installs, it takes a 'snapshot' of your computer, and determines a few things...
    i.e... how you browse the internet, and how you recieve/send mail. It considers that these app's do not need your attention, as they should always be open to the internet. It therefor chooses to give 'frequently used programs' freedom without your intervention. Which makes sense.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Firewalls [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, we have the internet but are bills are really high because when we are on looking at innocent sites we often get hackers or somebody who is charging us a premium rate without us knowing when we are not even using their sites. Somebody suggests getting a firewall to protect it but I'm scared...

View more questions Search