Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Crus1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2007, 04:04 PM
    Civic will not crank over
    My wife's 98 civic standard (Not Automatic), starts intermittently. IF anyone can help give us ideas it would be greatly appreciated... Here are the symptoms

Push in the clutch and turn the key nothing happens. The lights do not dim (That we know of), we do not hear any clicking when we turn the key. Nothing happens what's so ever.

We waited and then tried it again and then it started. I turned it off and tried it again and it started again just fine.

The car is a good running car and this is the first time we have come into this problem.

Thanks

Chris
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2007, 06:55 PM
    . Ensure battery is fully charged.

. Proper ignition system evaluation begins by answering three basic diagnostic questions:

1. When you turn the ignition switch to ON (not START), does the Check Engine Light (CEL) come on and then go off after 2 seconds? If not, the problem is with the ACG (ALT) (S) fuse, in the under-dash fuse/relay box; ECM (perform the K-Test, below); Main Relay; or the Ignition Switch. Perform tests in that order.

2. When the CEL goes out, do you hear and/or feel the Main Relay "click"? If not, repair or replace the Main Relay.

3. During the 2 second interval that the CEL is on, do you hear the fuel pump in the gas tank run? If not, check the fuel pump.

If the CEL does not go out, most Civics will not spark and the fuel pump will not run. That's why we begin our diagnosis here.

. If everything above is okay, check the Starter Cut Relay and the Clutch Interlock Switch.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

93 Civic won't start, turns over but won't crank [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 1993 honda del sol SI that I converted to manual, before the swap everything was fine, cranked up, my battery and alterntor were going bad but would crank up, after the swap, it turns over but nothing happens,I'm not gettting any spark at all, I went and got a new distributor but still...

1996 Honda Civic Crank but won't start (no spark) [ 1 Answers ]

Hello There, What happen was the previous owner install two kill switch, one for the fuel pump and one for relay under the steering wheel. It wasn't wired neatly and my kids accidentally kick one of the wired and disconnected the fuel pump kill switch and that shut down the whole car while I was...

1990 Civic won't crank [ 1 Answers ]

Ok I got this honda civic for free. It would turn over before, but make a loud squeak and only turn over very slowly. Then I found out the alternator was totally seized up, so I took the alternator belt off to see if it would start. I turned the key and the starter cranked it over and started it...

'90 Civic Stops Then Doesn't Crank for 15 Minutes [ 3 Answers ]

My 1990 manual transmission Honda Civic Lx has recently developed a random problem. It starts fine (both cold and hot) but it randomly quits running while on the road i.e.. The motor just dies (not on every trip). When I go to start it the indicator lights come on but it won't crank or even...

90 Civic No Crank, No lights, No Radio, new Battery [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 1990 Honda Civic that I parked for about two weeks now. The car was running without any problems before I parked it. Yesterday I try to start it up but I got absolutely no power - no radio, no interior lights, no head lights, no horn, no emergency flasher. I then proceeded to attempted a...

View more questions Search