Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    deldor Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2007, 01:35 PM
    12.5 briggs&stratton engine
    I have a briggs &strattonengine in my ride on lawn mower the battery won't charge when the engine is running
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2007, 03:12 PM
    If the battery will not hold a charge: The problem is either a bad battery, or a problem in the charging circuit. First, charge the battery. If it is at all low, it will not start the engine. Clean all connections, corrosion is 80% of all electrical problems. Check that the fuse is not blown. In the wiring harness somewhere there is usually a fuse, look under the dash (If it is a push mower, there may be no fuse), or follow the wires the come out from under the flywheel. There will be a fuse holder & fuse. The battery should read 11-13 volts (push mowers may be 6 volts), check it with a voltmeter and record the reading. Then check the battery voltage with the engine running (if possible) it should be higher, about 13.5 volts (7-8 volts for a push mower) if it is, the charging circuit is functioning. The typical battery lasts 4 years. Most auto parts stores will load-test it for free, but charge it first for an accurate reading.

If my answer helped, please click Rate this Answer below. Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

14.5 Briggs and Stratton engine [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone please tell me how to adjust the valves on a 14.5 over head valve engine? Thanks, roustaboutx

Briggs & Stratton 25 HP Intek Engine "Racing" [ 2 Answers ]

My 25 HP Intek Twin Model 445777 Type 0134 engine with 47 hours, clean gas, oil and filters, started "racing," after one hour of mowing this week, blowing smoke. I've mowed three times this season; over one hour each with no problem. Choke now runs in "reverse," meaning that I have to push it all...

Briggs&Stratton engine 121602 [ 3 Answers ]

OK, Dh and I are havig a slight disgreement about the mower. It is a Murray, sold under the Scotts brand in 2000, with a briggs and stratton 6.5 hp engine number 121602. Now, a cable broke, the one from the handle that kills it when you let go, and it sat outside for a month while we got the...

12.5hp I/C Briggs&Stratton engine [ 3 Answers ]

I went to start my riding mower for the first time this year and when it started is smoked real bad. I turned it off and checked the oil, it was over filled. I went to drain the oil and discovered it had gas in the oil. It ran fine last year, but I didn't drain the gas out at the end of the season....

View more questions Search