Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NancieL Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2007, 01:01 PM
    Witholding Taxes - NY vs PA
    How can I calculate what the difference in taxes would be to work in Bucks County, PA as opposed to working in New York City? I live in Bucks County, PA.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 10, 2007, 02:14 PM
    Here's a site that gives some comparisons between state tax rates. It seems that in PA you have a flat 3.07% with no exemptions, whereas in NY it's a progressive tax that hits 6.85% for income > $20,000, but with $15K deduction for married filing jointly. I think it's safe to say that for most cases the taxes in PA would be significantly lower than in NY.

The Tax Foundation - State Individual Income Tax Rates, 2006

If you want to dig further, do some Google searches and you can get the actual income tax forms and instructions for both PA and NY.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 11, 2007, 09:58 AM
    Ebaines had hit it on the nose; I have nothing to add.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax Witholding on Bonuses [ 2 Answers ]

My wife is paid a monthly incentive bonus if she reaches the goal of collected money by the end of the month. When her bonus is paid out in combination with her hourly wages, the percentage of taxes withheld adds up to 40%. What is the normal tax % for an incentive bonus and will we see some of...

Questions Regarding OPT - H1B FICA Taxes Witholding [ 1 Answers ]

Dear friends: I have been on F-1 status from Nov. 2002, I graduated in August with a Master's degree. I started working on OPT on 9/25/06, for that first week paycheck (9/25 - 9/30), only federal and state taxes were deducted, but not the FICA taxes. Starting 10/01/06 (my H1B status starting...

Witholding? [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter just started a paid position with a congressional campaign doing canvassing. She is also a full time student expecting to graduate nest summer. The campaign told her, they will be paying her in full for her time and taxes will be her responsibility. My question is how much...

Witholding deposit [ 14 Answers ]

The following took place in Iowa: I moved into an apartment with 4 friends of mine. My roommate's dad went with us to look and the apartment and also wrote the check for our deposit as our landlord did not want separate checks and none of us had enough money to cover the full amount ($1300). ...

Less Taxes Witholding on H1B [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I was on OPT from 1 July 2004 till Nov 08, 2004. My H1B started from Nov 9, 2004. I started working for my ex-employer from Nov 09, 2004 (the same date as my H1 date). In spite of being on H1B, he did not deduct the SS and Medicare tax and also paid less than normal federal and state tax for...

View more questions Search