Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Metallic Posts: 9, Reputation: 0

Jul 10, 2007, 10:32 AM
    Relativity when it comes to God?
    Maybe I will just sound ignorant in asking these things and show just how uneducated I am but how does relativity play into God? One way. One truth. One life. This is what I hear but then people start talking about something like music or churches or anything really and they say well this song is all right but all the others aren't good. Or something like the message I heard today was great but last weeks I tell you what. Am I just hearing about of people that don't understand of am I missing something? It's hard to explain or give a good example at the moment but there are many cases where people seem to put relativity in when it comes to God. So is it wrong to swear in the midst of sex with your wife or husband but when your joking with your friends about some guy or girl it's wrong? Is it wrong for me to go swear a bunch in India since none of them understand me anyway?

Personally I believe this is our excuse to sin some of the time and not at other times. Let me know what you think. If you can back yourself up with scripture that would be even better!
    Superfly999 Posts: 235, Reputation: 14

Jul 10, 2007, 10:41 AM
    Well, a long time ago I heard someone say "If you know right and don't do it, that it is a sin". So if you say this, even though people don't understand what you are saying YOU know what you are doing is wrong so there for it is a sin.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2007, 11:10 AM
    Yes, relativity can mean a lot. I'm sure some use it as an excuse, but one example I can think of is that occasionally I mutter "you a-hole" about the guy who cut me off on the road. I'd call that an example of my needing to be more patient, but don't think of those words as being a sin.

I'd certainly, though, call it sinful to voice that thought to someone... or worse yet voice it to someone in front of my children.

... just my 1.5 cents worth.
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Jul 10, 2007, 11:43 AM
    From Galatian 5

16So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature. 17For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the sinful nature. They are in conflict with each other, so that you do not do what you want. 18But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under law.
    19The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires. 25Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. 26Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other.

Grace and Peace
    chaplain john Posts: 79, Reputation: 28

Jul 10, 2007, 02:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJ
    Yes, relativity can mean alot. I'm sure some use it as an excuse, but one example I can think of is that occasionally I mutter "you a-hole" about the guy who cut me off on the road. I'd call that an example of my needing to be more patient, but don't think of those words as being a sin.

I'd certainly, though, call it sinful to voice that thought to someone...or worse yet voice it to someone in front of my children.

...just my 1.5 cents worth.

Rick

I mean this not as a rebuke but for consideration only.

Matt 5:22 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire. KJV

Blessings,
    John
    chaplain john Posts: 79, Reputation: 28

Jul 10, 2007, 02:27 PM
    The problem with relativity is that when we start applying it in one aspect of our life we soon find it creeping into other aspects also. Next thing we know Truth becomes relative so that what is truth to me may be pink while to Rick it may be green and to Superfly it may be red. When that happens just exactly what is truth.

Relativity is a highly dangerous thing to our walk through this life. It is the same thing as a cloud on the horizon when you are beyond sight of land on the ocean. You can use it to steer by if you have a compass (your absolute) to use to check for deviation from a straight line but without that compass you may never find your way back to land.

There must be some absolutes or there are no standards by which to judge.
    PortalWriter Posts: 39, Reputation: 5

Jul 10, 2007, 08:57 PM
    Jesus said "I am the way, the truth, and the life". He is the One Absolute. He is bigger then anyone's idea of what is relative.
    Tessy777 Posts: 191, Reputation: 37
    -

Jul 11, 2007, 06:49 AM
    Proverbs 16:25

There is a way that seemth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.

That is the verse that comes to my mind when I see this question, so I thought I'd post it.
    PortalWriter Posts: 39, Reputation: 5

Jul 11, 2007, 04:36 PM
    Jesus said in John 10:10:

"The thief does not come except to steal, kill, and destroy. I have some that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly."
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2007, 12:49 AM
    General or special relativity? :rolleyes:
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2007, 01:32 AM
    Just for an example of swearing. Cursing and swearing is frowned upon. It is something we are taught not to do.

At the same time my way of thinking is. I never cursed God, Never used the word of the Lords name in vain.

Have I swore yes, but have I ever cursed God, No.

I guess, we have all used terms for others that are considered Not good. Is it right, no.

Joe

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do you need God [ 12 Answers ]

I know I do need god how about you I get through the daywith god I ask him for help and I get it but not all the time

Where did God come from? [ 20 Answers ]

We are all Christians and attend church regularly. After service one Sunday my 8 yo comes to me and asks this question. Daddy, if God created the heavens and the earth, and all living creatures, etc. then who created God? If he had a Mommy and Daddy, where did they come from? I laughed......

Relativity and suchlike [ 3 Answers ]

The attraction between two objects due to gravity is given by: a = (m1+m2)/d^2 Mass changes with velocity, such that: as v approaches c, m approaches infinity. So, with a sufficiently distant object, a gravitational force acting on an object of mass m in a vacuum, the object will...

Physics-special relativity [ 2 Answers ]

I've got a physics problem that I haven't been able to solve Help! A rocketship, travelling away from earth with a speed of 0.8c sends regular radio signals which are received on Earth every 45.2 min. According to the rocketship astronauts, how frequently are the signals being sent? :confused:

Theoretical experiment on relativity [ 1 Answers ]

Consider a train , its proper length = 375000 km , traveling at a speed of 180000 km/sec (0.6 of speed of light) relative to person (name him B) Consider a beam of light that travels in the same direction of the train The train traveler (name him A) will measure the train length = 375000 km...

View more questions Search