Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SLynne Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2007, 10:11 AM
    Statute of limitations in Canada for a personal loan
    Hello,

What is the statute of limitations in Ontario, Canada for a small personal loan?

For example, I lend someone $300. They disappear for 5 years and then move back into town. How long from the date of the loan do I have to claim? Lets say the loan took place on Jan 01, 1995?

Thanks.
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2007, 11:55 AM
    You couldn't sue them unfortunately, it's about 6 years SOL on loans.

You could get a collection agency if you have proof of the loan. They might not be able to get the money back but could affect this person's credit rating.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2007, 03:58 PM
    The SOL in Ontario is 6 years for loans prior to Jan 1, 2004 and 2 years on or after Jan. 1, 2004

The SOL would start when the loan became in default.

So if you loaned them the money in 1995 and they had until 1997 to pay you back, the SOL would start in 1997 and would have run until 2003.
    SLynne Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2007, 08:32 AM
    Thank you for the information it is very helpful.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Statute of limitations in Canada [ 15 Answers ]

I want to know how long the statute of limitations is on a debt to a third party who secured a loan that was defaulted on. I am Canadian and the debt was incured here in Canada.:confused:

US / Canada Statute of Limitations on Debt [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a Statute of Limitations between the US and Canada on debt?

Statute of limitations for because Canada? [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know where I would find out what the statute of limitations for debt is in BC Canada? I'm trying to dispute a credit card debt that they tell me is from 2001. Thanks, any info appreciated.

Statute of limitations Canada [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I have a bank trying to collect for a loan I co-signed for, back in 1994. Is this legal? Anyone know? Orville

Statute of limitations on a personal loan and promisary note [ 11 Answers ]

Okay this is the situation. I singed a promissary (sp) note on or around July 7th 2000, the loan was for $1,700. The promissary note did not state anything regarding interest. On October 24, 2000 she again loaned me $600 and on August 27th 2001 she sent me a check for $375.00 ( this was a gift, not...

View more questions Search