Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hussar Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2007, 07:55 AM
    Installing Fiberglass Entry Doors
    I am in the process of getting some new pre-hung fiberglass doors. I was told (by my brother) that I can’t use storm doors with fiberglass (or metal) doors. It turns into a greenhouse, and stuff then warps, including the parts of the storm door itself.

Is that true?

Thanks,
    Brian
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 10, 2007, 10:05 AM
    If your storm door faces the sun it can cause a temperature build up that is harmful to the fiberglas door. The manufacturer should spell this out in the installation instruction. You other option would be to not install all of the weather striping on the storm door but that may defeat some the efficiency of the door. Also consider a very light colored door, maybe white.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Jul 10, 2007, 06:14 PM
    You can install storm doors over fiberglass or metal, absolutely! Here's the catch, for doors that have glass in them like a half moon or crest, it is possible for it to get so hot that it will break the glass, though speaking to a sales rep myself about this, I was told this has not actually happened but they have to warn you.
    I have one myself installed for over 10yrs with no problems and my front door faces the sun during the hot part of the day,

So my advise it to install it and don't worry about it

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Patio doors [ 2 Answers ]

How to change roller on patio droor

Doors [ 2 Answers ]

What is the opening size I need to cut when installing a prehung door on a wall?

Windows and doors [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone have any input on comparing Silverline windows and Jeldwin windows? How does each of them rate? ALso, compare Millikin patio doors vs. Jeldwin doors. Thanks Stephanie

Installing entry door with existing vinyl siding [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all - let me preface my problem below by saying I’m a fairly new homeowner, and don’t really know much about vinyl siding. I suspect I’ve done something wrong, but I’m not really sure where I went astray: I recently had to remove and then re-install a pre-hung entry door leading to our 2nd...

Installing a drain in a fiberglass shower [ 1 Answers ]

I’m in the process of installing a fiberglass shower unit in a new basement bathroom, but am somewhat stumped regarding how to attach the drain to the shower and then to the PVC pipe. The floor is concrete and I have 2” PVC rough in for the shower. Once I cut the PVC to the correct height, and...

View more questions Search