Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jennday Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2007, 04:02 AM
    I have a 8 week old wild kitten
    I was wondering if I could save myself money by buying the dewormer and ear mites medicine treat her anyway if there's no sighns or should I just start the vets and spend 102 dollars to treat something she might not have
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2007, 04:53 AM
    If you do not know if this wild kitten has worms or ear mites, treating her for such, is not your best option. Your best option is to take her to a Vet and have her examined. How do you propose to keep a wild kitten? Please contact your Vet for instructions.
    alkaline Posts: 61, Reputation: 20

Jul 10, 2007, 06:28 AM
    You absolutely need to go to see your vet.

Your kitten needs to be tested for Feline HIV and Feline Leukemia. This is important so that your kitten can have a healthy future.

Almost all kittens do have worms. Generally, you will give them one treatment, then another one two weeks later, and then you will bring a stool sample to your vet. Bringing the vet a stool sample is the only way to be sure that your kitten is cleared of the worms (as far as I know). Kittens can reinfect themselves by stepping in their stool and licking their feet, and if the kitten shares a litter box with another cat they can infect the other cat. Until you are sure the kitten is clear of worms you should make sure it doesn't have access to any litterboxes any other cats use.

The initial visit is a good way to start a relationship between you, the cat, and your vet. You can take this opportunity to discuss having the kitten spayed or neutered (which I strongly suggest you do), and the vet will be able to weigh the kitten and keep records of its overall health.

If you want your kitten to have a long and healthy life I honestly believe that $100 is a small price to pay to get things started on the right foot.

Good luck, and let us know what you named it!
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2007, 06:52 AM
    My suggestion would be to take your cat to the vet. Your kitten need shots even if you intend on keping it inside. Spaying/neutering is also necessary. You never know when she will escape. Better to be safe than sorry. As for deworming I have done this for my animals many times. To be on the safe side discuss it with your vet. Noneof my animals have medical problems that would make me be cautious. Here is a good link that discuss things that are related to a kittens needs. You will learn much from reading it. Good luck with your kitten.ASPCA: Pet Care: Cat Care

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

5 week old kitten [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there, I have recently received a 5 week old kitten and I'm wondering if anyone can tell me how much milk I should be giving her. She is eating solid food but she prefers the milk. She is really small because her mother stopped feeding her so she has lost quite allot of weight. I would really...

8 week old kitten [ 4 Answers ]

I adopted a 8 week old tabby yesterday. She has not eaten nor drank anything nor has she used the litterbox. Is this normal? Is so how often does a 8 week old kitten use the litterbox? Will she begin eating on her own? Thanks in advance for your help!

I adopted a wild barn KITTEN [ 2 Answers ]

Does Anyone Know Any Tips On Getting The Wild Barn Out Of My Kitten. She Is Aggressive, Scared, Runs Away , Is Not Friendly,destructive And Mean, I Hope She Can Be Tame. I Have One Grown Cat And He Is Lovey , She Acts Like Im A Mean Green Giant Trying To Kill Her Its Always A Chase. I Know...

3 week only kitten [ 2 Answers ]

My three week old kitten is not using his back legs at all, they are spayed out to his sides and he is draging them when he moves - is this normal?

Runt, sick (wild) kitten question [ 1 Answers ]

I have brought home a wild kitten about 5 weeks of age that has an eye infection and an abscess. The kitten is on antibotics starting today, but was only removed from the mother as of last night (it is eating gruel well at 3 hour intervals) but has not pooped. I have foster kittens, mainly for...

View more questions Search