Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kenlyne Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2007, 09:28 PM
    Ebay/paypal accounting using QuickBooks
    :confused: I'm a little confused so any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!

I buy and sell on ebay--mostly sell on eBay and buy my goods to sell elsewhere though I used to purchase a lot of it on eBay and sometimes still do

I have a Business checking account

I use Paypal's accounting assistant to import info into my QuickBooks file to keep track of my sales and purchases--these sales and purchases are recorded into its own account (separate from my checking account and separate from my Owner's Equity account), the type of account is Bank--the name of this account is Paypal

I also have an account set up for Owner's Equity as I have used my credit card to pay for purchases for my business--my understanding is that I enter transactions that I have personally paid for as increases and when I write a check from my business checking to pay myself back, I then record that as a decrease against the Owner's equity. Please correct me at any time if I'm mistaken. :o

What I'm confused about is--some of the purchases that I made on eBay were purchased with $$ sitting in my Paypal account from sales but a lot of the purchases were paid for using my personal credit card. Paypal's accounting assistant automatically keeps track of all transactions and imports them into my Quickbooks company Paypal account.

The question is, I still need to also enter any of those transactions (that are already in my QB Paypal account) using my personal credit card into my Owner's Equity account to keep track of what I need to draw back out when the company starts to be profitable, don't I? Is this the correct way of doing it, or will it be confusing to an accountant?

Also, am I correct in keeping track of these purchases that I plan to resell as Cost of Goods Sold?

It's hard for me to put this down in words--so thank you for even trying to help! :eek:
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2007, 04:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kenlyne
    I also have an account set up for Owner's Equity as I have used my credit card to pay for purchases for my business--my understanding is that I enter transactions that I have personally paid for as increases and when I write a check from my business checking to pay myself back, I then record that as a decrease against the Owner's equity. Please correct me at any time if I'm mistaken. :o
    You are on the right path so far…

What I'm confused about is--some of the purchases that I made on ebay were purchased with $$ sitting in my Paypal account from sales but a lot of the purchases were paid for using my personal credit card. Paypal's accounting assistant automatically keeps track of all transactions and imports them into my Quickbooks company Paypal account.

The question is, I still need to also enter any of those transactions (that are already in my QB Paypal account) using my personal credit card into my Owner's Equity account to keep track of what I need to draw back out when the company starts to be profitable, don't I? Is this the correct way of doing it, or will it be confusing to an accountant??
    My first reaction to reading this was what??

However, after reading it again, what I think you are saying is:

When you buy something on eBay, you either use your Paypal account (which is a business specific account) or your personal credit card.

In which case, you should then increase your Owner's Equity for the amount of the credit card (assuming you will use your own personal cash to pay the credit card bill).

Two things you should consider for the future:
    1) Put more cash into the business “bank” account
    2) Get a credit card in the name of the company, so as to make it all a lot easier by not mixing the accounting.

But, what you are doing is fine.

Something else to consider.

When you use your personal credit card to pay for purchases….instead a credit to Owner's Equity to increase equity, you could credit Accounts Payable and then the company can pay you back the money it owes you. Both ways work perfectly fine, just a matter of preference.

Also, am I correct in keeping track of these purchases that I plan to resell as Cost of Goods Sold?
    Yes, you are right.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

QuickBooks Statement [ 2 Answers ]

If a Customer has a balance due on the monthly statement, what is the correct way of entering the payment to the customer in QuickBooks?

Quickbooks 2006 [ 1 Answers ]

In Quickbooks 2006 how can you change the period for a comparative income statement from a calendar period to a specified date range? For example the month for the income statement may be Aug 27 - Sept 26 You want the current period to show Aug 27 and Sept 26 which it does okay but when you...

Refresher course -quickbooks [ 1 Answers ]

I need a refresher in quickbooks but I am having a difficult time finding a college community or otherwise running anytime soon. I don't have the luxury of time and the book I do have the cd won't run in my computer. Any suggestions?

Quickbooks Question [ 1 Answers ]

The company I work for has uncleared checks dating back to 1999. We want to get rid of these to have a true balance. How do I get rid of these without throwing off all of the other year balances? Is there a way to do it in 2004. I know you could do a journal entry but that wouldn't unclear the...

View more questions Search