Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mydandees Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2005, 08:00 PM
    Installing new tile shower walls
    I am installing new tile on top of a new cultured marble shower pan. I rested the durock on the top lip of the shower pan as directed by company. Its now time to tile the walls. Should I rest the first row of tiles directly on top of the shower pan or should I lift the first row up just a little maybe 1/8 inch and caulk the gap between the shower pan and the first row of tiles or maybe even grout the gap. Thanks Peter
    Flickit Posts: 278, Reputation: 2

Jul 8, 2005, 06:15 AM
    Try posting in...
    Quote Originally Posted by mydandees
    I am installing new tile on top of a new cultured marble shower pan. I rested the durock on the top lip of the shower pan as directed by company. Its now time to tile the walls. Should I rest the first row of tiles directly on top of the shower pan or should I lift the first row up just a little maybe 1/8 inch and caulk the gap between the shower pan and the first row of tiles or maybe even grout the gap. Thanks Peter
    ... the Plumbing section.
    sepmayr Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2005, 11:13 AM
    Caulk seal required
    Hi Peter:
    The tub and the tile will expand and contract at different rates as temperature changes; thus (you are right), you shound leave a 1/8 to 3/16 gap, make sure it is dry and dust free after grouting the rest of the tile, and install a 100% silicone seal. Tip: 100% silicone will provide the best and longest lasting seal, is, however, difficult to clean. Cut the nozzle of the caulk tube in a 45 degree angle, slightly larger than your gap; try to apply a consistent bead, and, prior to using a finger to press it into the gap, spray it with windex or other soap solution. The silicone will not stick to soap, thus allowing you to run a finger (spray it, too!) along the seal, creating a nice cove without messing up the surrounding areas. Then you can simply sponge off the excess.
    Josef

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Removing black adhesive from floor before installing new vinyl tile [ 6 Answers ]

I have a bathroom (at the church I belong to) that has a hard type of vinyl tile in it. A toilet has overflowed 2 times in the past and flooded the floor. As a result, a lot of the tile has come loose. I have the replacement VINYL tile, but need to know how to continue. Under the tile is black...

Setting Tile on Shower Floor and Walls [ 3 Answers ]

We are about to begin setting the tile in the shower. Which should we do first? The floor or the walls?

Painting shower walls [ 1 Answers ]

I have an old, retro 70s shower wall (plastic with gold plating) that needs replacing, but I am on a tight budget. Can I seal and paint the existing shower wall until I am able to rip out and replace? Any advice on how to proceed?

Installing new tile on top of shower pan [ 2 Answers ]

I am going to be installing tile over durock cement board which sits on the top edge of my shower pan and just slightly over hangs into shower pan. Should I rest the starter row of tiles down on the cultured marble shower pan which has a 1/2 in lip or should I leave maybe 1/8 gap and if so what do...

View more questions Search