Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sweetcheeks_943 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2007, 03:46 PM
    Vacation Pay
    I am new at this, this is my first time on this site.
    What I am wanting to know is I worked at a job for 13 months, and I was working 50 to 70 hours per week. I had to take 2 weeks off due to hurting my arm and when I returned the owner of the business had taken my management position from me so I gave him a notice and quit.Well I ask for my vacation pay but did not get it and as of today he still has my last check. I have turned my uniform in and when I ask for my check he states call me tomorrow, I will have your check. I live in Tennessee and feel like he has done me wrong. Is it legal for him not to give me my vacation pay or to keep my check? This happened May 14th 2007.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 9, 2007, 03:58 PM
    He can't witthold your vacation pay or any cheque. You have to report him to (what it is here in Ontario, the Board of Labour), your equivalent of this.

Jul 9, 2007, 06:10 PM
    Thank you for this answer, but even though I quit am I still entitled to the 40 hour vacation pay that I earned?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 10, 2007, 02:52 AM
    Yes, you worked for it, you are entitled to it.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 10, 2007, 06:44 AM
    It depends on the company's vacation policy. If you earned it according to their policy, then yes they have to pay it. But without knowing what the policy is, I can't say whether you earned it for sure.

Jul 10, 2007, 01:58 PM
    Sorry, the company that I worked for is Subway Restaurant which is privately owned and operated. You have to be with the company for 1 year before you get a weeks paid vacation. You can either take the week off or work and get paid for the 40 hours vacation. I worked for this man for 13 months 50 to 70 hours per week. There were times that I would work 15 straight days before I got a day off, and that was because I was the manager and would have to take my employees slack when they would quit, or not come to work. Thank you for your responses.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 10, 2007, 03:16 PM
    Here in TN it is up to company policy, many companies do not pay your vaction time since it is not considered an earn money, merely time allowed. Others pay it if you give notice, not if you don't. The rules vary.

The main issue is that vaction pay is not a right, many companies don't offer any vacation time at all.

Normally if they won't pay it, if you sue them in small claims court, with written proof that the vacation paid is a earned benefit, you should win.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 10, 2007, 03:30 PM
    If this was a written policy then you are entitled to the pay.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Doctor bill. Pay or not pay [ 5 Answers ]

I was working through workers comp claim. I was sent by my Dr to a Dr to treat me for depression. After I received a bill from the Psychologist telling me that my insurance was not paying for the bill and that it was my responsibility to pay her, I then stopped seeing her. Now I am being taken to...

Too soon to vacation together? [ 2 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I have been together for 7 months. Spring Break is coming up and I am going with my friends (4 girls, 2 guys) to Myrtle Beach, SC. My boyfriend at first had a BIG problem with me going- he still has some trust issues (afraid I'll cheat, etc.. ) So I talked to my friends and they...

Vacation Pay [ 5 Answers ]

2 Questions. Question 1. I'm currently resigning from a position that I have a remaining vacation balance. Is it required for my company to pay out those vacation hours by law? Question 2. I've been away from my last job for 2.5 years, when I left I didn't ask for my vacation that I had...

Vacation pay [ 1 Answers ]

I recently resigned from one company to start at a new company. The company I left is saying that I owe them for vacation time I took, but the way I earned vacation time, at .83 days per month. I had not worked enough days to cover the vacation time I took back in July. The question I have is it...

View more questions Search