Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mizzes_C Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2007, 03:12 PM
    Fiancee's ex-girlfriend is his alternate trustee on life insurance policy
    Need advice!

My fiancee's ex-girlfriend, who just so happens to be partner in a family law firm, is currently the alternate trustee on his life insurance policy. His mother is the trustee. I understand that their platonic friendship turned into an intimate one and they eventually became lovers. She was someone he could trust. Although their relationship transpired before I met my fiancée, I feel as though the time has come to rethink some things and remove her name from any legal documents. He has two beautiful daughters (who are equal beneficiaries) of which I help to care for so if something happens to him, shouldn't I (his future wife) be the trustee?
    I asked him about the arrangements a few months ago and he turned around and asked me whether I would be able to argue/fight in court if his ex-wife tried to intervene and take measures to secure the life insurance money that he has set aside for his daughters.
    I know she is a lawyer and could probably do a better job than me (in arguing his case, that is) but I feel if he trusts me enough to marry me entrusts me with the love and care of his daughters then I should be made trustee. It is not about the money. I really don't care about that. It just don't seem ethical to have my future husband's ex-girlfiend/mistress as the trustee on his life insurance policy as if I'm not capable.
    Am I just being paranoid or do I have a vaild point? In either case, I don't know what to do? Please help!!
    daphnye Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2007, 06:09 PM
    Is this ex wife the mother of those children? That would be the one question I'd have to ask myself. It it were me, I would have the mother of the children be the trustee for the children's share, and change the mom one to you. It's not about trusting you, it's about making sure his kids are taken care of I think.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Search for life insurance policy [ 9 Answers ]

How can I find if a life insurance policy exists on a recently deceased parent?

Motgage Insurance vs. Life Insurance [ 6 Answers ]

Hi-- I just bought a new house and am getting solicitations for mortgage insurance if I kick the bucket. I don't want my wife to have to be burdened by mortgage debt. Had thought about getting term life insurance to cover the mortgage amount, what's the better approach??

Life Insurance Trustee [ 1 Answers ]

My fiancée has several debts that are being satisfied with her income tax refunds. However, certain debts have priority in being intercepted and we would like to have more control on which debts to satisfy. Her elderly dad has a life insurance policy naming her as beneficiary. We fear that when...

Life Insurance Trustee [ 0 Answers ]

My brother recently died and left my father as the trustee for his life insurance with his only child as the beneficiary. My father is 72 years old and the child is 15. My father wants me to handle the trust monies for him because of his age, he doesn't want the hassle. There is no will. Is there...

View more questions Search