Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cmkubis6 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2007, 02:57 PM
    No will, No executor, Insolvent estate
    My sister just passed away this May. She was not married and had no children. She did leave behind a lot of credit card debt. The debt is soooo much that we (the sisters and brother) cannot pay for it. There is no executor and no one wants to take on that responsibility for fear of the creditors. We have already been sent letters from several collection agencies wanting to talk to the executor to set up payment. I'm not sure what to do. She had been ill and moved in with our mother, at which time she sold most of her possesions. Her estate is very little (almost empty condo & small plot of land). What should I tell them?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 9, 2007, 03:00 PM
    First of course no one else is responsible to pay.

If he left a house, a car, any money in the bank, then she has an estate.
    If no one wants to make a claim, you can leave the car sit and let it get repo, or towed away for sitting somewhere.

You don't have to file in probate if you don't want to.

You don't have to answer or respond to any credit card people if you don't want to. BUT under no reason at all, don't talk to them on the phone ever. Don't ever agree to pay or to even consider paying.

But if she owns the condo and small plot of land, appoint some attorney to be the executor, let him sell the property, and pay the bills that the money will cover and notify everyone else there is no money left.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Estate and Untrustworthy Executor [ 11 Answers ]

Hi there. My mother recently passed away and my (untrustworthy) sister propelled by a troublemaking brother in law is the executress of the estate. My mother left the house and its contents to her, and the rest is to be equally distributed among the remaining 5 children. I would guess (the estate...

Lawsuit by Executor of Estate [ 5 Answers ]

My mother was Power of Attorney for a close family friend. Recently my mother and I have been named in a lawsuit, suing us for bankrupting the estate, theft of the estate, etc. We are absolutely innocent of these charges, they are unfounded and we have a paper trail to prove this. They are also...

Problems with Executor of Estate not signing sales contract for real estate [ 4 Answers ]

My sister and I are the beneficiaries of our mothers will. She died when I was 17 and left my sister and I half of her estate, and named her doctor as the executor. I am now 22 and my sister is 20 (21 next month). We all agreed (verbally) to sell the family house to our father for $125k. He...

Executor of estate/trust [ 3 Answers ]

My father passed away recently. My mother has survived him but she is incapacitated. I am the executor of their estate/trust. It is a sizable estate and I would like to gift funds to my brothers and their families. My father appointed my mother as his power of attorney and never updated it. ...

Executor of estate in another state [ 4 Answers ]

My grandmother lives in California. I was recently informed that she has appointed me as executor of her estate. My father lives in California, her only child, but he has basically abandoned her. My grandfather passed away three years ago and my father took $15,000.00 of his insurance money to...

View more questions Search