Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Shad0w Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2007, 01:13 PM
    Need advice
    OK this is my first time writeing on here, and I really didn't know where else to write this so here goes,I'm a 21 m and I have no idea what I want to do with my life and it's making me depressed... I want something that's fun and makes a lot of money, I want a good life since my childhood was so garbage, but there seems to be no such job.. and I don't want to waste tons on money taking courses that I'm never going to use,sometimes it makes me wounder if I'm normal seeing all these people happy with there careers/jobs moving ahead in life and I'm not going anywhere... so this is my last hope I want to see if this well help me... what should I do?. what good jobs are there??
    tacramer Posts: 23, Reputation: 3

Jul 9, 2007, 01:21 PM
    My business is career assessments. By using a few tests, we can build a personal profile that you can use to screen job descriptions and come up with a list of occupations that you never would have thought would be alike - but are enjoyed by the same kinds of people..
    Would you trust your financial future to an internet opinion? Don't use the online tests.. most don't have the validity or background that merits serious usefulness.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Jul 9, 2007, 01:42 PM
    What are your interests? What are you good at? Is "fun" and money your only goals? Are you willing to put in hours of education or training once you find something that you want to do?

Good paying jobs don't just fall out of the sky. Sometimes it takes working a few crappy jobs to figure out what you don't want to do in life.

I know one guy that works a job that he really isn't that excited about, but has good money. He stays with it because it gives him the lifestyle he wants. Me - I work for less than I could earn somewhere else because I like the environment.

You are the final arbiter on whether a job is a "good one."
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 9, 2007, 02:03 PM
    First a job that is fun and one that earns a lot of money are not always the same thing. If you enjoy being a life guard, that may be great, but you won't be rich doing it.

You can make a lot of money as a computer research engineer but if you don't like computers, math, and science, you will hate it.
    And of course we can't tell you what you would like,

Next what education do you have ? All those "needless" course are normally needed. Do you have a BS degree yet ? Are you working on a masters degree. Have you looked into job training in a field like electronnics, in some building trades?

Jul 10, 2007, 09:02 AM
    I have a high school diploma, that's the thing I have no clue what I want to take, I like working with my hands and love health.I have worked all kinds of jobs from constructions to roofing to produce clerk, and those jobs are just not me I have a brain and it's time for me to use it and stop braking my back for a buck, but I'm really in the dark here I don't know what to do or how to get started, I really don't know what I want to do with myself
    Troubled Teen 13 Posts: 14, Reputation: 2

Jul 10, 2007, 09:17 AM
    My mom goes through the same thing , don't worry your not alone at all. But I hopee that you find the perfect job :D
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2007, 11:09 AM
    Go visit a few counselors at your local community college, trade schools and universities. Check your local area newspaper and TV stations for the next career fair. There will be hundreds of employers there wanting to tell you why you should work for them.

High School diploma isn't going to cut it for a good paying job unless you are very lucky. I just finished my bachelor's degree online - so there are more options than going to a tradtional school. I was able to keep my regular job and go full time.

There are thousands of career fields or you could start your own - you just have to find something and commit to it.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2007, 10:20 PM
    I would suggest following through on some of the advice that you have already been given in the above answers.

If you like working with your hands and you love health, then why not consider getting educated to be a chiropractor? That does depend on what you believe concerning health practitioners, though. I know that seeing a chiropractor for certain muscle and spine ailments works for me.

You could attend a college and concentrate on taking science courses such as biology, chemistry and physics as well as those courses that everyone has to take. Get a degree and then go on to an approved school to become a chiropractor.

If you were to become a chiropractor, you would be meeting lots of people and the potential for fun would be there. You also have the potential to make a good deal of money.

You also might want to check out the information on the following sites, if you are interested.

Here is another idea: What about becoming a licensed massage therapist?

Just some ideas in trying to help you to decide on what to do.

How to Become a Chiropractor | eHow.com

How much schooling does it take to become a chiropractor? | Answerbag

Chiropractic Education - What does it take to become a Chiropractor?

10 Steps to a Fab Job as a Massage Therapist - How to Become a Massage Therapist

Become a massage therapist. on 43 Things

Jul 11, 2007, 10:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Emland
    Go visit a few counselors at your local community college, trade schools and universities. Check your local area newspaper and tv stations for the next career fair. There will be hundreds of employers there wanting to tell you why you should work for them.

High School diploma isn't going to cut it for a good paying job unless you are very lucky. I just finished my bachelor's degree online - so there are more options than going to a tradtional school. I was able to keep my regular job and go full time.

There are thousands of career fields or you could start your own - you just have to find something and commit to it.
    I've done that.. talked to all kinds of counselors, went to career fairs been there done that, I think there's something wrong with me, there's nothing I like there I feel worthless and depressed every time I go to those... I wish I could find something I like so I could work towards it and make something of myself
    Ultra Member

Jul 11, 2007, 10:41 AM
    A degree like the one I have - bachelor's in business admin (mgt) is a pretty good degree to have. It allows you the skill to build your own business. There are many employers that will even subsidize your education.

The armed services are looking for people. You can get the GI Bill that will pay for school when you are out. My husband started as a High School graduate and after serving 20 years, got most of his Master's degree paid for by the US Navy and made the contacts to walk into a fantastic federal contractor job right after retiring. We also have health care and a pension for life. Many sneer at the military - but the benefits are worthwhile. There are tons of career paths in the military.

Sep 25, 2007, 10:47 AM
    I tried almost everything you guys have told me to do and still nothing, this is really putting me into a deeper depression, I have no purpose in life, I came to the conclusion that there's no job for me out there and I will be miserable for the rest of my life, all people have been telling me is I have all the tools but I have no clue what I want to do, this is sickening
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Sep 25, 2007, 10:57 AM
    Well what about all of Clough's suggestions? Something like massage therapy takes 18 months of schooling and most places help you get a job afterwards. You can still work while taking those sorts of classes.

To be honest you are going to have to do some form of schooling in order to get ahead. There are lots of options within the healthcare field but you have to have a specific set of knowledge in order to get those kinds of jobs which requires either an Associates degree or a Bachelor's degree.

Also if you have the belief that you will go nowhere then you will go nowhere. It sounds trite I know but you have to believe in yourself before anyone else will. You have to take the first steps here. No one is going to offer you some dream job making mega bucks you have to make those things happen for yourself. Everyone that you see with a good career and who is happy made that happen for themselves through hard work. Nothing falls in your lap in this life.

Sep 25, 2007, 11:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by GlindaofOz
    Well what about all of Clough's suggestions? Something like massage therapy takes 18 months of schooling and most places help you get a job afterwards. You can still work while taking those sorts of classes.

to be honest you are going to have to do some form of schooling in order to get ahead. There are lots of options within the healthcare field but you have to have a specific set of knowledge in order to get those kinds of jobs which requires either an Associates degree or a Bachelor's degree.

Also if you have the belief that you will go nowhere then you will go nowhere. It sounds trite I know but you have to believe in yourself before anyone else will. You have to take the first steps here. No one is going to offer you some dream job making mega bucks you have to make those things happen for yourself. Everyone that you see with a good career and who is happy made that happen for themselves through hard work. Nothing falls in your lap in this life.
    I know what your saying and I agree, I'm not saying I want an easy road or somethng to fall in my lap, these people are happy with there jobs because there doing something they love, so when your doing something you love it doesn't matter how hard it is you do it because you love it, I have no clue what I want to do because if I did I would also work hard at it and have fun doing it, and massage therapy I don't really like much
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Sep 25, 2007, 11:38 AM
    Well what about becoming a nurse? Or a chiropractor? Or an accupuncturist? Or a health aide? Or a Pharmacy Technician? There a million careers in healthcare and it's the fastest growing field in the country right now. If that is where your interest is you will be able to find a job quickly. Every week in the paper at least 4 pages are dedicated to healthcare.
    gopal9090 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2007, 07:40 AM
    I am anil from india.How to get a job in europe.

Dec 17, 2007, 03:35 PM
    Still no luck,going into a deeper depression
    vingogly Posts: 718, Reputation: 105

Dec 18, 2007, 06:49 AM
    Sounds like your aimlessness and your depression are locked in a downward spiral; the aimlessness generates the depression and the depression feeds the aimlessness. But there's more than one way to skin a cat. You haven't been able to break the spiral and find the good life by focusing on your lack of a career, so why not break it at the other point by focusing on the depression? You may find that if you work on the depression it will become much easier finding hope in your career search.

Many cases of depression are highly treatable without medication and in a relatively short number of sessions. If you have health insurance or an EAP at work, give them a call for a referral. In most communities, there are nonprofit agencies that offer counseling on a sliding scale based on income, or pro bono in cases of extreme financial hardship. Go to your yellow pages and call a few agencies and tell them you're looking for services on a sliding scale.

Here's good advice on finding a good therapist. A good and reliable resource for locating a therapist is Find-A-Therapist, which has been around for ten years. You can also find an online or e-therapist through an affiliate of Find-A-Therapist by clicking on this link.

If you are experiencing serious distress, you can find nationwide USA hotlines as well as state hotlines at SuicideHotlines.net. If you are accessing this web site from outside the USA, you can find helplines for many countries at Befrienders Worldwide.

All the best in your journey!

Vasily
    clinton mccoy Posts: 47, Reputation: 15

Dec 24, 2007, 08:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by vingogly
    Sounds like your aimlessness and your depression are locked in a downward spiral; the aimlessness generates the depression and the depression feeds the aimlessness. But there's more than one way to skin a cat. You haven't been able to break the spiral and find the good life by focusing on your lack of a career, so why not break it at the other point by focusing on the depression? You may find that if you work on the depression it will become much easier finding hope in your career search.

Many cases of depression are highly treatable without medication and in a relatively short number of sessions. If you have health insurance or an EAP at work, give them a call for a referral. In most communities, there are nonprofit agencies that offer counseling on a sliding scale based on income, or pro bono in cases of extreme financial hardship. Go to your yellow pages and call a few agencies and tell them you're looking for services on a sliding scale.

Here's good advice on finding a good therapist. A good and reliable resource for locating a therapist is Find-A-Therapist, which has been around for ten years. You can also find an online or e-therapist through an affiliate of Find-A-Therapist by clicking on this link.

If you are experiencing serious distress, you can find nationwide USA hotlines as well as state hotlines at SuicideHotlines.net. If you are accessing this web site from outside the USA, you can find helplines for many countries at Befrienders Worldwide.

All the best in your journey!

Vasily
    More good advice!!
    1headphones1 Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2008, 10:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Shad0w
    i've done that.. talked to all kinds of counselors, whent to career fairs been there done that, i think theres something wrong with me, theres nothing i like there i feel worthless and depressed everytime i go to those... i wish i could find something i like so i could work towards it and make something of myself
    If you have some money... travel a bit and see the world..
    And if you don't have that money see if you can get around the states or where ever you live.. for a bit..

Then mayb when you get back your mind will be a little more clear..

Because.. u probably won't like your career 110%...

But I'm sure there's something that interests you just a little bit..

Try to go that route...

And if something you like doesn't make that much money but makes enough for you to be comfortable than that's probably better than making little more money and being miserable for 40hrs or MORE hours of your life every week... but some people do it because they got responsibilties(kids,mortgage,etc)

Good luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I would really like the advise! [ 2 Answers ]

Ok its been a while since I have asked a question lol but my period was due the 27th of may and it is now the 4th of June and still no period. Now I have had an off period before but since my husband and myself are trying to get pregnant I was wondering if I should take a hpt. Just let me know what...

Need advise [ 21 Answers ]

I was arrested and the claimed I was a girl who was wanted by another state for evading the law even though there were like 5 red flags to say I was not that girl they looked me up for two days and harassed me f several times and threatened me to try and get me to say I was her then finely them...

I need advise [ 14 Answers ]

Umm OK I go out with this guy and yes like most of you said that I should moveon so I did and I'm over cheyenne and anyway I go out with this guy and his name is nick and ummm I think I kind of love him and the other day my friend asked me if I would ever have sex with him and I said yeah probably...

Serious Advise Please! [ 6 Answers ]

:confused: I know this is sure to get some negative comments, need only serious advise please! I've been married AND FAITHFULL for the last five years. Prior to our marriage, we were together for 10 years. Lately, for a long time actually, I feel like my husband doesn't "give" to the relationship...

Advise [ 17 Answers ]

Hello. I'm new to this forum. Well my situations goes like this, my ex girlfriend broke off the relationship of two years. Its been three months since the breakup. Well the first month I kind of had some sort of contact with her through calls, e-mails. Then I decieded to go the NC way because it...

View more questions Search