Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    other022002 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2005, 01:55 PM
    Sewage Smell
    We have sewage smell that seems to be coming from the stack pipe the runs from the basement to the roof. Here is some back ground on the setup, now I'm not a plumber so bare with me. This is a older two story house, the vent pipe is cast iron and runs from the sewer pipe that goes out the basement up through the floor into a closet then on up to the second floor. The first story drains enter the pipe in the basement before it heads out the wall to the world. The pipe is visible in the closet. The sewer smells occurs when water is ran either on the 2nd or 1st floors. The smell must be originating in the closet cause it is absolutely horrible there. The smell is not noticeable on the second story, I can smell it in the basement but not sure if that's just coming through the floor though. I have checked the drains on the 1st floor when the smell ocurrs and do not notice any smell coming from the drains, so I assume the traps have water. Any ideas? Hopefully I have given enough but not two much information to be confusing. I will mention that one ideas I've had is to put a P trap on this sewer pipe in the basement when its turned horizonally.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 7, 2005, 05:43 PM
    I let this one go expecting Tom to see it and give a good answer. Well at least this will bump it up to the top. Have a good look at the pipe in the closet where the smell is the worst. Check for cracks or a failing joint. The odor should only come out where there is an opening. Once out, it could seep into other places and collect in a dead area such as the closet. Before I put in a trap in the basement, I would try extending the stack on the roof. Also make sure you don't have a leak around it allowing the odor to follow the pipe into the house.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 7, 2005, 06:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by other022002
    We have sewage smell that seems to be coming from the stack pipe the runs from the basement to the roof. Here is some back ground on the setup, now I'm not a plumber so bare with me. This is a older two story house, the vent pipe is cast iron and runs from the sewer pipe that goes out the basement up thru the floor into a closet then on up to the second floor. The first story drains enter the pipe in the basement before it heads out the wall to the world. The pipe is visible in the closet. The sewer smells occurs when water is ran either on the 2nd or 1st floors. The smell must be originating in the closet cause it is absolutely horrible there. The smell is not noticeable on the second story, I can smell it in the basement but not sure if thats just coming thru the floor tho. I have checked the drains on the 1st floor when the smell ocurrs and do not notice any smell coming from the drains, so I assume the traps have water. Any ideas? Hopefully I have given enough but not two much information to be confusing. I will mention that one ideas I've had is to put a P trap on this sewer pipe in the basement when its turned horizonally.

Sorry Labman, My computer was being worked on and I was off line.

" I will mention that one ideas I've had is to put a P trap on this sewer pipe in the basement when its turned horizonally."
    Number one, You can't do that. A vent is your systems lungs. It must breath and be exposed to air to do its job. Installing a water seal, ("P" trap) will cut the vent right out of the system.
    That said, the first thing I would do on those old lead and oakum joints in the cast iron vent pipe is have someone recaulk the joints. Sewer gas has methane in it and it will raise so you might have to open up a wall or so to locate it. The closet, because it's a closed space, acts like a trap for the gas. Like labman said, check the pipes for cracks ,but my bets on the lead joints that have shrunk and loosened over the years. Good luck, Tom

Jul 7, 2005, 07:17 PM
    Thank you for the timely responses, very well appreciated. What type of caulk would you recommend? Would a regular silicone type caulk work?
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 7, 2005, 07:25 PM
    Thank you for the timely responses, very well appreciated. What type of caulk would you recommend? Would a regular silicone type caulk work?

What I meant was to take a set of inside and outside caulking irons and recalk the lead and okum joints. Regards, Tom

Sep 6, 2005, 10:30 AM
    Problem Solved... We found the sewer smell problem. I get irritated when posters don't follow up with there issues solved or unsolved so here is mine.

In the process clearing things out to cut the vertical cast pipe in the closet and replace it with pvc we decided to follow the pipe on up and into the ceiling. Which this is a drop ceiling, so we were able to just knock down the plaster above to get a view of the pipes between the floors. We found that a T connection the collects the 2nd floor toilet and the rest of the 2nd floor drains was complete rotted out on the top side.(do not understand how nothing came out of the top) So we ended up pulling up the 2nd floor stool and running pvc from the it through the closet and connecting into the cast that was still in good shape with no-Hub connectors. I was able to hold a camera up in the joist and get a picture of it while still connect. I've attached the image.
    Attached Images

Eternal Plumber

Sep 6, 2005, 11:32 AM
    Problem Solved...... We found the sewer smell problem. I get iritated when posters don't follow up with there issues solved or unsolved so here is mine.

In the process clearing things out to cut the vertical cast pipe in the closet and replace it with pvc we decided to follow the pipe on up and into the ceiling. Which this is a drop ceiling, so we were able to just knock down the plaster above to get a view of the pipes between the floors. We found that a T connection the collects the 2nd floor toilet and the rest of the 2nd floor drains was complete rotted out on the top side.(do not understand how nothing came out of the top) So we ended up pulling up the 2nd floor stool and running pvc from the it thru the closet and connecting into the cast that was still in good shape with no-Hub connectors. I was able to hold a camera up in the joist and get a picture of it while still connect. I've attached the image.

EEECH! Nasty!
    "the rest of the 2nd floor drains was complete rotted out on the top side.(do not understand how nothing came out of the top"

That's because the liquid never completely fills a drainage pipe. It just drains along the bottom third or so. So glad you got your stinky problem solved. If we can ever be of assistance just call on us. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewage smell in shower... [ 26 Answers ]

I don't know if this has been covered, but whenever my shower is running the smell of sewage seems to be coming up from my drain. This happens in only one bathroom, this bathroom being on the second floor. There is a 1/2 bath in the basement that hasn't been used in years, we just recently bought...

Sewage smell in bathroom [ 9 Answers ]

:eek: Our main bathroom off the master bedroom has a sewage smell coming from the shower. The drain is not clogged, the toilet and sink are fine. No smell from the sink or toilet, seems to be from the shower only. Our house is on septic system and drainfield. No soggy grass around the drainfield...

Sewage smell [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, About a week ago the pump for my septic tank broke. I replaced the pump And everything is working fine now. My problem is that some sewage backed up into my downstairs washroom onto an old cement floor. I have noticed a strong odor in the basement and coming up through the air vents. I...

Sewage smell [ 2 Answers ]

Recently we bought a house. As soon as we moved in we could smell a sewage smell coming from both bathrooms (cannot locate exactly where) and outside the front of our house (seems to be coming from underneath the house). How do we begin to look into this without calling out a plumber?

Sewage smell [ 1 Answers ]

I have a one year old home which this past summer, I was getting a sewage smell. At first is was only happening on a windy day. I'm on septic system, my floor drains in basement are always full with water. I was getting the smell in my sons room through the return air grill.. After I figured...

View more questions Search