Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    birdie2 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2007, 10:56 AM
    Computer rebooting for no apparent reason!
    I looked around the forum and found a lot of people have had this problem, but none that matched mine...

Anyway,mine started 2 days ago when the first random reboot happened after I opened up a little program to check the cpu core temperature (coretemp.exe). I've been using it for a week and nothing happened before that.
    When the computer rebooted there were no error messages.
    Then again a few hours later, I was just surfing the net generally.
    Then another reboot and another, and no error messages.

So today I did a full system scan-- AVG and it found this "POTENTIALLY HARMFUL PROGRAM HideExec.BD" " PATH - C:/WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/CMDOW.EXE"

It's in the virus vault.. so I figured if this was the problem, it'll be OK now. But then, another reboot, when I was just browsing the net for 'random rebooting problems.' Haha.

I also did a spyware scan with Outpost Pro-- it came out clean.

Then I checked with "eventvwr.msc" (something I picked up from google) and it showed an error "SERVICE CONTROL MANAGER - FOLLOWING BOOT-START DRIVER FAILED TO LOAD - ASPI32"
    this error has occurred several times, even before the random rebooting started.

Phew. Well this is all I have right now. Don't know what's wrong. So if anyone can make some sense out of it, it'll be a big help!

Oh and my system ---

XP Prof SP2
    Intel Core(TM) 2 CPU
    [email protected] GHz
    1.99 GB RAM
    TX300 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2007, 12:10 AM
    You said you change your coretemp.exe so in that case one also it cause some failure on your machine, try to changes on default. In safe mode, and resrtore in last good config. Of your OS second Virus is the one also to force your machine rebooting on an on most especially strong virux.. the last thing if non of the obove try to reinstall your machine in clean boot (NEW ONE) and after that before you begin to do anything on your machine first do it with back-up and enjoy.
    benn11 Posts: 1,036, Reputation: 43
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2007, 12:41 AM
    This can be AVG itself, There is an option that AVG use to restart the PC when an update is complete. Try this to check whether it helps? Open AVG Control Center > click on update manager > select properties > check update immediately, complete at next computer startup > close dialog box > disable all schedule tasks...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My Computer keeps rebooting [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My name is cooljames--I hope to get some answers on a self inflected wound. I unchecked some of my exec start-up files because it took my computer (HP pavilion a446x with Window XP) so long to start up windows. So the joke is on me--the computer gets passed the BIOS start-up, but restarts...

My computer keeps rebooting [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, My name is cooljames--I hope to get some answers on a self inflected wound. I unchecked some of my exec start-up files because it took my computer (HP pavilion a446x with Window XP) so long to start up windows. So the joke is on me--the computer gets passed the BIOS start-up, but...

Computer reboots for no reason [ 4 Answers ]

Could someone help me with this problem. I am running XP that has all of the updates from MicroSoft. For no reason it will shut down and reboot while I'm looking at things on the net or reading the AJC paper on-line. I have NOD32 virus protection and ewido 3.5 mal-ware protection. I just totally...

Computer Keeps Rebooting [ 12 Answers ]

Hello everyone, this is my 1st post. I have an eMachines T3265. The computer is rebooting itself shortly after windows starts. I haven't installed any new software or hardware in a month and I have had no problems with the computer before today. I tried starting in last known good...

Computer rebooting during scans [ 4 Answers ]

I have gone though a lot of problems and had to reformat my drive again. I have already installed all of microsofts patches and I am running zone alarm with AVG and ewido. Every time I try to run through a complete scan with ewido it restarts the computer. I ran AVG and everything checked out OK....

View more questions Search