Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tessy777 Posts: 191, Reputation: 37
    -

Jul 9, 2007, 09:51 AM
    Does absolute TRUTH equal intolerance?
    I don't think it does! I believe in absolute TRUTH. I have been called "intolerant" because I disagree with people who don't believe in absolute truth. I believe homosexuality is WRONG and yet... I have Gay friends. I don't preach to them, but if they ask, I tell them the truth. I believe sex outside marriage is WRONG... but I have friends that live together, do I preach to them.. nope. But if they bring it up... well, I say the Truth. It isn't MY truth... it is HIS truth. WHY is that intolerant.?

This is the thing that gets people the angriest... I believe in only ONE WAY to heaven. I believe because God said it. I didn't set the rules, HE did. Why does that make me intolerant?
    Marily Posts: 457, Reputation: 51

Jul 9, 2007, 10:17 AM
    I think we as christians should tell people the truth, without putting pressure on them, if someone you love lives a unrightous life, would you say nothing and let them live the way they do, until they bring the subject of their life up?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2007, 10:17 AM
    You have your "truth" we have ours, never the twain shall meet.
    -

Jul 9, 2007, 10:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Marily
    I think we as christians should tell people the truth, without putting pressure on them, if someone you love lives a unrightous life, would you say nothing and let them live the way they do, until they bring the subject of their life up?
    Marily,

That is a great question. NO. I would NEVER go to a unbeliever and point out that they were living in sin. I would however tell a believer AND there is scripture to back it up. You don't show an unbeliever "the truth" by pointing to their sin. I don't see anywhere in the Word where that is my job. If they ask me, if they want my opinion, if we are in a discussion.. you bet I would. Otherwise, No. I'd be way out of line.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jul 9, 2007, 10:32 AM
    Now that is the problem.
    EVERYONE is entitled to their own opinion, but when that opinion differs from your own then tolerance of the others beliefs needs to be shown, NOT disparaging them on a public forum such as this.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2007, 10:39 AM
    The Bible is very explicit about some things. If you accept it as the inspired word of God, then you must accept Jesus as his son, and believing in him is the only way to salvation. While this means you can't accept others' views, you can respect them, just as they should respect yours.
    -

Jul 9, 2007, 10:42 AM
    I hear you Curlyben.. but this is A CHRISTIANITY forum... am I right? I believe there is absolute truth in Christianity. I don't get on the other forums and try to shove my beliefs on to anyone else. I don't even try to shove my beliefs on to anyone here frankly. But I do believe in what I believe and I don't think it is intolerant for someone who comes into this forum to stand up for truth. Maybe I'm wrong?? If someone is an "expert" in Christianity ( I'm not saying I am) shouldn't they be able to stand firm in that belief without being intolerant? I don't know.. I'm just asking?
    BossMan

Jul 9, 2007, 10:46 AM
    Yes this is a Christianity BOARD and as such deals with ALL forms of Christianity, not just the "Born Again" style that seems to be most verbal when it comes to other peoples' opinions.
    My comments wheren't directed purley at yourself, but to a large number of recent members.
    -

Jul 9, 2007, 10:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    The Bible is very explicit about some things. If you accept it as the inspired word of God, then you must accept Jesus as his son, and believing in him is the only way to salvation. While this means you can't accept others' views, you can respect them, just as they should respect yours.
    Well said. Just because I totally disagree with someone and say so... doesn't mean I don't respect what they say... I just disagree. What I am finding though, is IF I disagree with a non-believer, I'm called intolerant. AND I've even received private messages saying... I'm intolerant. I don't know, I really don't think I am intolerant at all but maybe I just see me through rose colored glasses... lol.
    BossMan

Jul 9, 2007, 10:51 AM
    There are ways of expressing you views and to counter an argument with biblical quotes makes the response seem intolerant.
    Yes to disagree with another's opinion is fine, but the manner in which it is done s what causes the friction.
    -

Jul 9, 2007, 10:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben
    Yes this is a Christianity BOARD and as such deals with ALL forms of Christianity, not just the "Born Again" style that seems to be most verbal when it comes to other peoples' opinions.
    My comments wheren't directed purley at yourself, but to a large number of recent members.
    I haven't taken anything you said personally. Ok.. I'm going to say something.. don't call me intolerant.

There is only one kind of Christianity.. the born again kind.. the others are bogus. I had to say that.. I believe it is absolute truth...

By bogus, I mean it is impossible to be a believer in Jesus Christ without being born again. Doesn't matter if you believe you are born again, you ARE... IF you are a true believer.
    BossMan

Jul 9, 2007, 10:56 AM
    Fair enough as is your right.
    Admittedly I'm sure the Catholics would have something to say about that, but that is your own opinion and goes a long way to explaining how your views are formulated.
    Allheart Posts: 1,639, Reputation: 436
    Ultra Member

Jul 9, 2007, 11:05 AM
    <<<<<<< Catholic clearing throat here :)

Tessy, bless you for the way you think and I truly mean that. I love people of all faiths and so does OUR Heavenly Father. Nothing bogus about that now is there :)
    I will say Tessy, a tad bit on the harsh side to declare those of us who truly love our Heavenly Father as "bogus". But I do embrace you and the way you think and feel and respect your words and thoughts.

I don't really think you meant bogus did you? You know you can edit a previous post if need be. :D

Amen :)
    -

Jul 9, 2007, 11:09 AM
    Curlyben and allheart,

My point is you can call yourself, catholic, pentecostal, baptist.. etc. If you believe in Jesus Christ as your personal savior, you ARE born again. There is no such thing as a NON born again believer. I am CERTAIN of this.. but I'm not angry with you if you don't accept this as absolute truth.
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2007, 11:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tessy777
    I haven't taken anything you said personally. Ok..i'm gonna say something..don't call me intolerant.

There is only one kind of Christianity..the born again kind..the others are bogus. I had to say that..i believe it is absolute truth...
    Just going to quote that for posterity.
    -

Jul 9, 2007, 11:16 AM
    Hey needkarma,

Trust me, I'm very tolerant of you... I just believe in absolute truth. I say what I believe but I'm not going to get ticked because you don't believe it. I respect that you aren't... right. Lol
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2007, 11:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tessy777
    I respect that you aren't...right. lol
    As I respect that there is something wrong with you. LOL
    -

Jul 9, 2007, 11:27 AM
    NeedKarma,

Ahhh now you are getting testy on me.
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2007, 11:37 AM
    Hey I put the "LOL" there so it's OK!
    Allheart Posts: 1,639, Reputation: 436
    Ultra Member

Jul 9, 2007, 02:14 PM
    Comments on this post
    Tessy777 agrees: Perhaps bogus was offensive... I didn't mean it that way. I mean I believe all true believers are born again.. even if they don't label it as such.

Tess, I truly didn't think you meant it the way it read. No problem. The problem with terms like born again and such is it can make people feel alienated. I never quite understood nor liked the term. I think every time we repent and are truly sorry, then we may be cleansed again... but sadly, because we are human, only to get dirty all over again.

I also believe that Our Father loves each and everyone of us... deeply. A love that we could never understand. No matter what religion, even if there isn't a religion. He loves us all. Does an earthly father only love his children who behave?

Anyway, no offense taken.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Absolute values [ 2 Answers ]

I'm having trouble solving this absolute values Could you please help me Attachment below

What is the absolute best mattress to have? [ 2 Answers ]

I heard that Tempur-pedic is best? But is expensive. Please before I buy a new mattress, I would appreciate feed back on the type and kind of mattress you have, and if it helps, your back, restfulness, health etc. Also I heard that coil matresses are bad for the alignment of your body? Also,...

Intolerance, It should be considered a sin? [ 124 Answers ]

Okay, on the thread of reincarnation. Another member brought up an excellent point about intolerance. I was the one that started the thread of reincarnation and it went off topic. Which is expected I guess, but instead of continuing there I think this heading from another member is an excellent...

Divorce - vacate stay of judgement absolute [ 14 Answers ]

Hi... first timer here! I am in the midst of a divorce that is taking forever. Last September I had my divorce trial (husband didn't show). I testified for 2 hours and was eventually awarded my home, children (physical & legal) and granted divorce to return to my maiden name. The judgement (in...

View more questions Search