Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    an613 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2003, 05:13 PM
    Networking Win95 and Win XP Pro
    I am trying to network a win95 computer and a computer running windows xp pro. I have a high speed connection (dsl) and a linksys router. It is not a wireless router. I have a brand new ethernet card on the win 95 computer. I connected the computer on 95 sand the router and the link was detected but the in '95 the network neighbourhood shows me the entire network option. I click on it and it gives a erorr box. If anyone can help me please do so as soon as possible.

Thanks a lot
    elina Posts: 136, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2003, 01:19 AM
    Re: Networking Win95 and Win XP Pro
    an613, have you done the basic setups for proper networking such as same WORKGROUP name on both pcs, left-clicking on SHARING tab, and so forth. Here is my other link on some of these suggestions:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cgi-bi...num=1066681994

If trying these still don't work, I further suggests upgrade WIN 95 to at least WIN 98 or better. If you do decide to upgrade, I recommend 1st doing WINDOWS UPDATE under the VIEW or TOOLS option at top of IE browser. This will give your pcs better chance of properly networking after proper basic setup as explained before.

MS stopped supporting WINDOWS UPDATE on WIN 95 back in 2001. Thus, WIN 95 may be too old to work with WIN XP. ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need Help with Win95&98 [ 9 Answers ]

This would help if u worked for Microsoft at the time but I am openfor anything I need to know why when I go to install win95 it works good until after the license agreement is signed then a black screen appears then with win98 after it prepares for setup it goes to ready my floppy drive when I am...

Install good Win95 on another computer [ 3 Answers ]

Have an Acer computer with Win95 that has something wrong with it on the computer currently. Was just given a new Win95 disc with license. Would appreciate step by step instructions on how to wipe off the current Win95 and install the good one from scratch so nothing remains from the old win95...

Installing win95 on a re-formatted HD [ 3 Answers ]

Ok, so here's the problem: I just got an HD from a friend, it's an OLD one and I just completely reformatted it. I want to install Windows 95 on it, I have the disk and everything, but I can't install because it says it can't install under NT (I have XP). I want to install 95 on the HD I just got,...

Win95/win98/winnt/winme/winxp [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, I'm actually trying to differentiate between following OS's:Win 95/98/NT/ME/XP. So can anyone let me know the differences in a tabular form or any site that has a clear cut definitions of the aforementioned. I want to know the differences of all the OS's

Upgrade to WIN98 from WIN95 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there How do I upgrade from WIN95 to WIN98 using clean Install CD for WIN98 without formating the HDD, if I use WIN98 clean install CD I get message ask me to use upgrate version of WIN98 (I don`t have WIN98 upgrate CD), how do I bypass this message? Regards Nnn22

View more questions Search