Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Johhny2 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2005, 08:53 AM
    Weed Wacker Problem!
    Hey I have a Featherlite plus weed wacker

Its kind of looks like this
    http://www.ashbyfarmequipment.com/ph...atherlite1.gif
    Okay well any when I start it up it runs okay for like 4 secs and than it make this high pitch noise and locks up and stops, Now the noise doesn't seem like its coming from the engein, it seams like its coming from the head,
    I took off the head and try starting it with out the plastic blade and try starting it up and it doesn't even last 2 secs the min you start it up it locks up and shuts off,

Any help?
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Jul 7, 2005, 11:58 AM
    OK, you can take the shaft off, and see if it isn't the engine by running it without the shaft, done it before. In the shaft the end of its pretty cheap and wears out easy, and on through up is plastic washers of sorts to keep the flexdriveline stable, they can slip down, you may get by with dribbling a little 80w-90 gear lube down it. But I don't know if the ends are replacable on those cheapy ones. Also make sure the flexdrive isn't broken. Or bent out of sorts. If you don't want to fix it, they are pretty cheap to replace.

Jul 8, 2005, 03:12 PM
    Thanks for the reply I'm going to open it up and see but in the case that its broken where do I get a new flexdrive ?

Also when I take it apart I take the 4 screws by the throttel and it comes off?

Ty and just in case where do I put the lube?

Jul 8, 2005, 04:57 PM
    Okay got it took it off started it worked fine ,
    I saw inside the engin the thing that holds flexline in moves around when it starts and it isent stable when its on, so I stuck some Lube in it and when it starts it make the noise but than stops after a min or 2

Any Idea maybe to get it stable?

But hey Thanks for your help,
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2005, 08:42 PM
    OK, the engine doesn't do it, now, the part where it connects to the flywheel, ( just a extension off the crank with a connection for the line, that must be tight... red thread locker even to keep it that way. Now if its coming from the end of the shaft at the trimmer line head, then I wouldn't worry much since these trimmers are pretty cheap to fix, or to replace. Might luck up and just find a new shaft from a blown one... but that connection from the flywheel has to be stable and on tight, or engine damage will occur. And if it does need tightening, the whole engine itself is pretty easy to take right out of the case.

Jul 9, 2005, 04:50 PM
    Okay Thanks for your help,

Let me get this Straight so I Know Exactly what I should do, And Exactly What I Did,

Okay I took off the Shaft and the FelxLine And I saw where the Flex Line Connected inside the engien and when I started it up it wasent stable,
    It as moving around every time it spinned, So What I got to do is Put something there to hold it in place or can I open the engine and maybe there something to tighten it inside?

Thanks for your help

Only 14 years old lol
    Ultra Member

Jul 9, 2005, 08:23 PM
    OK, so where the flexdrive hooks into the engine, is not stable, flops around? The engine is pretty simple to take out of the plastic housing, I believe 5 bolts tops, and inspect it more, it may have been damaged or it has gotten loose and damaged. If it will do with a simple tightening, and be fine... you can put a open end wrench on the end there and tighten it. It would have a hexed off end down at the flywheel to tighten it.

Jul 10, 2005, 08:21 AM
    Okay I got an Update for you I took it off and everything is tight and all,

So now I start it up it still making the noise but this time I got a chance to hear it where its coming from.
    Its coming from the bottom, How do I take that off now?

Its Sealed in on the bottom and I can't unscrew it from anywhere,

There is a little hole above it where you can see the felixDrive,

I don't know...

Please help
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2005, 02:06 PM
    Exactly, for those cheapy featherlites, there is no real way to get that off, you may can find a good used, or get a new one, but even then you'd be working with an old engine.. that may not last longer then another year or two, maybe more. I forget the price on a new one and walmart, somewhere around 60 or 70 bucks I think for another featherlite.

Jul 10, 2005, 04:34 PM
    How about if I cut it off and than change it and than welded it back on?

Dam don't really want to get a new one
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2005, 08:16 PM
    Well... yeah that should work for you, it doesn't have to be terribly straight, since it utilizes a flexible drive line. Though you might luck up and find a used blown one with a good shaft... lots of people forget their oil/gas mix, and blow them, or the engine just wears out. Though if you weld it, the metals sort of thin so be on the careful side not to burn through it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Weed Eater [ 6 Answers ]

I have a WeedEater Featherlite Plus trimmer. I have had it for about three years. It has worked wonderfully well, until the last time I used it, and even then it ran. My problem is that the last time I cranked it, the rope did not retrieve, or get pulled back in to where it is supposed to be. ...

Mtd Weed Whacker [ 3 Answers ]

I have a MTD weed wacker that just won't start, it does on the first attempt and shuts off after about 5-10 seconds max. after that it won't start at all. I put the proper mixer ration of gas and two in one oil, and I have also changed the spark plug. Any suggestions, thanks!

Stuck weed wacker pull rope [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Snapper 2 cycle weed wacker that I haven't used for about a year. When I remove the spark plug, the pull rope operates easily. When the spark plug is in, the pull rope is "jammed". It will not move.

Weed problems [ 5 Answers ]

I live in a manufactured house in a park and we have areas of stone beds that we try to keep weeded,is there any inexpensive liquid or granuals to help eliminate them? I have a layer of some kind of plastic under the stones.

Weed Eater [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Weed Eater Featherlite. I bought one of those replacement heads for it. How do I get the old head completely off?

View more questions Search