Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bigdaddy65 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2007, 09:11 AM
    Getting out of being a co-signer
    My wife has co-signed for a friend of 15+ years and just had a falling out. What can WE do to get my wife off the rental agreement. Oh, BTW, her friend would not have been able to get this apartment had it not been for my wife co-signing for her. Please help.
    tacramer Posts: 23, Reputation: 3

Jul 9, 2007, 11:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddy65
    My wife has co-signed for a friend of 15+ years and just had a falling out. What can WE do to get my wife off of the rental agreement. Oh, BTW, her friend would not have been able to get this apartment had it not been for my wife co-signing for her. Please help.
    Read the contract about early termination. Both are responsible for the full amount unless there are other clauses in the agreement..

If the person can't qualify... is this a good situation for either of you to be in??

Basically - only co-sign for family... you will find the two kinds of relationships have a lot in common.

OH - BTW - depending on your state and the terms of the contract - YOU could also be responsible for the debt... Don't make this your wife's problem..
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 9, 2007, 11:08 AM
    The only way she can get out is if the lease is terminated. Until then she is stuck.

Jul 9, 2007, 11:20 AM
    TA, this IS my wife's problem. I am not using her as a scape goat, I am just looking for information to, MAYBE, get her out of this. I had told her that it wasn't a good idea to begin with, but that was the only way she could get her out of the house she was in and into the apartment.
    So I am not bringing my wife into this, she has brought me into this.
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Jul 9, 2007, 11:23 AM
    Agreeing with Scottgem (it won't let me rate the answer) she is stuck, if she is still on speaking terms with the friend ask her to find another co-signer and maybe the landlord will re-do the lease.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 9, 2007, 11:26 AM
    One point. When the lease expires, she needs to inform the landlord she is not renewing otherwise, the landlord will continue to hold her responsible.

Jul 9, 2007, 11:29 AM
    Thank you for all your responses. I was hoping that there would be an easier way out of this. I guess WE will have to hope for the best and her friend keeps paying the rent.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Co-signer as Creditor? [ 1 Answers ]

A friend (creditor/client) of mine co-signed a loan. The balance is $5400. I missed some payments and he paid them. I am now paying the $200 a month. In the meantime, he has turned the loan to a collection agency, Chase Receivables who sent me a letter saying that I owe a balance of $14,000. ...

My lease signer leaving [ 4 Answers ]

My ex girlfriend, ended up leaving our apartment, she signed the one year lease for our place... she said she talked to the landlord and she took her off the lease, even though the lease doesn't end until sept 07... She refuses to pay anything towards the place... what can I do... or what should I...

Removing name as Co-signer on a mortgage [ 4 Answers ]

I signed on to a mortgage as a co-signer and I will like to know how I can immediately go about having my name removed from the mortgage? Such as what steps do I need to take and who should I contact? Also would the other party be able to prevent me from removing my name? And what obstacles should...

Garnishments and signer only [ 1 Answers ]

I received a garnishment on a customer and the accounts they are on show this person as a signer on the account. Am I able to take funds if they are a signer only or do they have to be an owner on the account?

Rights to Co-Signer [ 2 Answers ]

I have a question about the rights of a co-signer. I am looking to get about a $100,000 first time home buyers loan. My father wants to be a co-signer on the loan. I know that if I can't pay the mortgage off, he will be the one to take on the bill. However, what other rights would he have to...

View more questions Search