Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    schwartz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2005, 07:36 AM
    The old bradford pear problem
    Yes, it happened... my beautiful bradford pear tree split.looks good on three sides but now I have a island with a damaged tree. Should I cut it down or just haul off the giant branch and leave it be?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 7, 2005, 08:26 AM
    Do you value it for its fruit, or its landscaping value? If it is fruit, you might even consider leaving the broken limb attached until after you can harvest the fruit. Then after it goes dormant, carefully cut it off leaving as neat of a wound as you can. The balance of the tree will heal and continue to yield fruit for many more years. The other branches and new growth will slowly fill in the gaps.

If it is a sore thumb in an attractive landscaped area, and you have not been doing the work to maintain good fruiting, perhaps you should cut it down and replace it. To some of us, our trees are old friends, with care, outliving us. Still, we lose some of them. The trees in our area have taken a beating recently. We had a major ice storm early this year, and later wind. The crews the power company hired did a very professional job, but others left the trees with a butchered look after topping.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Playboy girlfirend problem.. Real problem [ 14 Answers ]

I have this new girlfriend.. that I really, really like (more than any other). She seems really nice... she was wearing everything of the "playboy" (earrings, bag, shirt, etc, etc) brand name / merchandise. I thought it was cute and a one time thing. Until I saw her bedroom.. It was 100%...

Bradford Pear Tree [ 1 Answers ]

I have a bradford pear that has way to many berries on it in the fall. The ground is a mess. Short of cutting it down, is there anything I can do to eliminate these small berries (pears?). They come in clusters and are about the size of cranberries. The tree is 30 to 40 ft. tall and I cannot reach...

View more questions Search