Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shebawolf Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2007, 03:01 AM
    Introducing bones to puppies
    Hi I am doing a correspondence course on Pet care. I am currently writing about giving bones to puppies. I have information on what bones are safe (any type of uncooked bones including chicken bones)

Howevrer I need information about how to introduce bones to puppies
    And please don't say that chicken bones arnt safe I have reliable info otherwise!

Thanks

Sheba
    binx44 Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 88
    Ultra Member

Jul 9, 2007, 03:46 AM
    You should never give chicken bones of any kind to dogs or cats they can splinter and get stuck in their throats
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2007, 05:04 AM
    The subject of bones is highly controversial. Despite the large number of dogs injured by them, many argue they can be safe. Even if they don't break into shards, they wear the teeth down. I know of no evidence showing not being given bones has harmed a dog. My 13 year old Lab never had a real bone in her life. Her teeth are in excellent shape, even still showing some of the 3 lobe pattern on the incisors. I happen to be sitting her 6 year old dog guide replacement today. His teeth are the same way. If anybody doesn't understand what I am talking about, here is a picture of an 8 month old's teeth:

Highly valuable guide and service dogs never get bones. It may not cost the price of a new car to replace a pet, but I see no reason for their owners to risk the emotional burden of giving their dog an unsafe chew.

Frankly I feel the dog guide and service dogs schools are in a position to know much more about dogs than most other sources of information. Not only do they have the experience with thousands and thousands of dogs, but they are continually testing different ideas to see what works and doesn't' work. They share what they learn with those caring for their dogs including me. There is a huge reservoir of dog guidance out there that has no scientific backing, and in fact is refuted by controlled testing. I can't believe anybody qualified to be writing a correspondence course on dog care would come here asking such a question.
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

Jul 9, 2007, 05:30 AM
    While I do give the real Tuscany a bone (compressed rawhide) from time to time. I never give him the bone unsupervised. For smaller dogs (or any dog really) they could choke, or shards could break off and cause damage to their bodies.

I think giving bones is a personal choice, but binx is right about the chicken bones. Also, there are many other safer alternatives to bones.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jul 9, 2007, 02:13 PM
    I have always been afraid to give my dogs bones for many reasons. But to answer your question, if I were to attempt it . 1. I would make sure that the bone were only given after the puppy had been feed. I would be afraid if it were hungry that it would chew to quickly and swallow sharp pieces. 2. I would not try this with a pup that had behavior issues or aggressive tendencys. 3.I would make sure that I was in the room at all times 4. I would make sure that I knew animal Hemilich Maneuver. Only then would I attempt to give cooked or raw bones of any size. 5. I would only do this when I knew my vet was in office or where the nearest E.R. vet was at and how far away.
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

Jul 9, 2007, 04:35 PM
    shebawolf disagrees: Though though you were trying to be helpful Tuscany it didn't really help me answer my question, and raw bones, even chicken bones are god for dogs, I got the info from a reliable source, it was written by a Vet Thanks anyway

I would like to see your source because my vet says not to give dogs any kind of animal bone. But especially chicken bones because they splinter. Furthermore, my Dauchaunds for Dummies book specifically states that chicken bones are extremely harmful to dogs. Chicken bones are on a list of foods NEVER to give dogs.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2007, 07:05 PM
    I have read that uncooked chicken bones don't shatter into sharp fragments when a dog eats them. I have not checked it myself. I also hear the boiled beef bones from the pet store are safe. Much of the old wisdom of the 50's has been disproved. I don't doubt a vet has assured Shebawolf that raw chicken bones are safe.

However, I have read many dumb things that a few vets suggest. In another current thread, somebody is quoting their vet on the asinine idea of adding powdered milk to puppy chow. As for bones being good for dogs, especially puppies, can somebody please explain how? Puppy chows are carefully formulated to give a puppy everything it needs for fast growth. Just what are bones going to add, other than abrasion to wear their teeth down faster? More calcium will only screw up the body's ability to absorb what it needs.

I see possible large problems from giving puppies or older dogs bones. I don't see any advantage. I would suggest asking your own vet before giving your dog any bones.
    ricklee Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2009, 12:24 AM
    If chicken bones are bad for dogs no one told my husky when she was killing and eating all the neighbor's chickens!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Getting your bones picked cleaned [ 5 Answers ]

Anybody out there tired of getting there brains beat in by blackjack, you could be making costly mistakes or playing in second rate games and having your bones picked clean before you even finished your first beer. Maybe I could give you some sound advive in the do's and dont's about the...

Puppies and bones [ 4 Answers ]

What kind of real bones are safe to give to a puppy. Was always told to never give dogs chicken bones because they can choke on them. So, we gave our 13 week old puppy a spare rib bone and we think he ate the entire thing in about a half hour. Is this even possible, and how dangerous is it? We...

Fish bones and cats [ 1 Answers ]

My roommate dumped a fish head and body into my cats bowl. I thought that wasn't such a good idea. I was afraid that she might choke on the bones since they were so small and sharp. My roommate said that cats eat bones all the time... (she doesn't own a cat). The cat didn't eat it anyway, and she...

Rawhide bones [ 2 Answers ]

I heard rawhide is not good for dogs. Is this true? If so, how come? Thanks everyone

View more questions Search