Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ALLABOUTAFRICA Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2007, 10:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    I think they are saying no thanks, because it doesn't fit in with their traditional forms of fund raising. Basically what you seem to be doing is having charities front for Affinity Travel. You do this in the hope that people will use Affinity Travel to book their trips and events because it gets to support a charity. But most non profits, don't want to have such an affiliation.

So I agree with emland, the model just won't fly.
    I agree with your point, to a point. That is the basis of all affinity based programs currently in use such as the credit cards and the red phones and other merchandise being marketed as red. These programs are offered in the hope of getting people to buy or use their products to support a charity. That's what an affinity based program is, and non-profits do use these programs. This is not any different other than a larger percentage goes back to the non-profit.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 20, 2007, 10:21 AM
    I'm not saying that non profits don't use such tecniques, but many don't like to use it and rarely do they have to pay to use it. Usually the affinity marketer offers the non profit money for the use of their branding.

And PLEASE take the caps lock key off.

Jul 20, 2007, 10:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    Well you can drop the all caps to start.
    I'll do that. Thanks. Just do not understand why the other all cap posts came out correctly. But, thanks anyway.

Jul 20, 2007, 10:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    I'm not saying that non profits don't use such tecniques, but many don't like to use it and rarely do they have to pay to use it. Usually the affinity marketer offers the non profit money for the use of their branding.

And PLEASE take the caps lock key off.
    Okay, the caps are off. Sorry. And, that is correct. They do offer them money, in the percentage of what they receive per sale with the credit cards, and in the form of $8.50 per phone sold, and $2.50 per bluetooth headset sold with the red phone products. This offers the same feature only with 40% of the travel commission going to the non-profit, instead of 100% going to for-profit travel booking engines - the same basic principal as all affinity-based fundraisers. Am I missing your point, because I truly see no other difference between this program and the others - except the initial start-up fee. I am certain there is no start-up fee for the red products, but believe there is an initial start-up fee with the credit cards. Plus, nobody but the non-profit knows where the travel is being booked through. As far as the supporters are concerned, they are booking it through the non-profit they support. The booking engine is custom designed for the non-profit with their logo and information - not the travel agency's. They have a separate division for the for profit sector. I still feel as though I'm completely missing what you are saying.

Jul 20, 2007, 10:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Emland
    the later
    I appreciate your response and would like your feedback as to why it won't fly. Are you in concordance with the reasons given in the other response? If so, what am I missing that is so obvious to both of you, but not to me?
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2007, 10:54 AM
    The reasons I don't think this will work are:

1. Those individuals visiting the non-profits sites aren't doing so with the intent of booking travel. They may take note of the ad, but when it comes down to securing the reservations they will most likely take the traditional route.

2. When a traveler has the inevitable bad trip experience, they aren't going to blame the travel agency on the website, they are going to blame the non-profit. They are not going to want to deal with an angry traveler whose Bahamamian vacation was ruined by non-stop rain.

3. Non-profits with websites can add affiliations to their websites and earn commissions from their visitors WITHOUT paying a dime. Here is my company website Mail Depot Home Page The animated ads that you see in the middle portion of page don't cost me a cent, but any visitor that clicks through and buys something - the company gets a commission (after a base amount is reached.)

4. and lastly, the websites I have Googled look a lot like this one Affinity Travel I would not feel confident in booking with this site - it just doesn't look professional and legitimate to me.

Jul 20, 2007, 11:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Emland
    The reasons I don't think this will work are:

1. Those individuals visiting the non-profits sites aren't doing so with the intent of booking travel. They may take note of the ad, but when it comes down to securing the reservations they will most likely take the traditional route.

2. When a traveler has the inevitable bad trip experience, they aren't going to blame the travel agency on the website, they are going to blame the non-profit. They are not going to want to deal with an angry traveler whose Bahamamian vacation was ruined by non-stop rain.

3. Non-profits with websites can add affiliations to their websites and earn commissions from their visitors WITHOUT paying a dime. Here is my company website Mail Depot Home Page The animated ads that you see in the middle portion of page don't cost me a cent, but any visitor that clicks through and buys something - the company gets a commission (after a base amount is reached.)

4. and lastly, the websites I have Googled look a lot like this one

url=http://www.affinitytravel.com/]Affinity Travel[/url] I would not feel confident in booking with this site - it just doesn't look professional and legitimate to me.
    Thank you! I appreciate your honest feedback. In response to #1: There is no ad on the website of the non-profit. The advertising is provided by the travel agency, designed by the non-profit and marketed to the non-profit's supporters in whatever way the non-profit designates, ie: newsletters, e-mails, informational brochures, etc. - the non-profits know their supporters better than the travel agency and know what marketing plan will work best for them. The only thing on the non-profit's site is the link to the booking engine, which they are informed is there through the marketing plan if they so choose to use it to support their cause. It is marketed as an additional service - an alternative for them to donate to their cause without having to do anything they weren't already planning to do, and with no additional donations requested.

#2. The travel agency provides one million in insurance to the non-profit for exactly those occasions at no additional cost to the non-profit, and the supporters are informed prior to taking their trip not to contact the non-profit, but the travel agency in case of such an event. That's what my 10% is for - to handle these situations if and when they arise. Also, the airline, hotel, car rental company, cruise line, etc. all have liability insurance as well, and occasions of which you mentioned are not what usually causes unhappy travelers - it is the instances that occur in specific areas of travel, ie: lost luggage, mishap upon a cruise ship, robbery of a hotel room, breakdown of a rental car, etc. where the incident is most likely taken up with the service provider.

I especially appreciate the information you provided in #3! I am definitely going to check into the travel agency being able to do something of the same sort for the non-profits as far as the non-profits not paying anything up front, but receiving their commissions after the base amount of the start-up fees are met.

Thanks so much! I greatly appreciate the time you have taken in helping me with my dilemma!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What artist sings "money money money" [ 5 Answers ]

I can't find the song "money money money" listed anywhere.(I think that's what the title is) I don't know the artist.

Money only? [ 7 Answers ]

I finally found the perfect wedding invitation, but now I'm getting concerned with the wording. You see, my husband (we secretly eloped... a whole other story in itself) and I are both originally from the midwest, so that's where we want to have our wedding. We live on the east coast now, and we...

How do I get my money [ 1 Answers ]

I sold $3500 worth of products to this business ar Nevada, I'm in California. He was in a N30 and I would run his credit card every 30days. This time he orders big and when he received it, he started complaining. I said to send it back. He refuse. By the time I run hi card. The card has been...

Money is there any? [ 1 Answers ]

Want to see the Federal Reserve bank president of New York admit that there is no "money"? On June 12th watch the Travel channel and see for yourself! Get your VCRs, Tivo, and all other recording devices ready!! ...

Money [ 3 Answers ]

Does any body know what the pay is for underwater welders may be? I am starting at the Ocean Corporation in May and was wondering how much I can expeat to earn.

View more questions Search