Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    IN33DHelp Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2005, 05:17 PM
    Computer turned on, nothing on screen
    I turned on my comp, power comes on but there isn't anything on screen as if I was away from my computer for a long period.

I triple checked all wires, un-plugged and replugged everything, switch new monitor and it won't work.

Someone please help me.
    thetachi464 Posts: 93, Reputation: 4

Jul 6, 2005, 07:14 PM
    I am going to assume that the monitors are good. How old is the system if it is still under warranty then I would talk to the seller. If not then I would try the video card next. Is it onboard video or is it a separate card. If it is a card I would try it in another system. If it is onboard then I would see if someone has an old card laying around and then try that. That should give you an idea. Post if you have any luck.
    Press2Esc Posts: 251, Reputation: 10

Jul 11, 2005, 07:05 PM
    What comes up on the monitor when the system is rebooted... Do you get the Windows (XP, 2000, 98, etc), or vendor (Dell, Gateway, etc) splash screen?

P2E

Quote Originally Posted by IN33DHelp
    i turned on my comp, power comes on but there isn't anything on screen as if i was away from my computer for a long period of time.

i triple checked all wires, un-plugged and replugged everthing, switch new monitor and it won't work.

someone please help me.
    erichss Posts: 36, Reputation: 2

Jul 28, 2005, 09:32 PM
    If nothing comes on the monitor when you boot up, look on the back of the computer, if there are two spots to plug a monitor in use the other one.
    Press2Esc Posts: 251, Reputation: 10

Aug 11, 2005, 09:25 AM
    Does the computer provide a POST beep? If so, no many and what freq (short,long)...

P2E

Quote Originally Posted by erichss
    If nothing comes on the monitor when you boot up, look on the back of the computer, if there are two spots to plug a monitor in use the other one.
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Aug 11, 2005, 11:46 AM
    Sounds Daft but
    Try the reset button, the other week I came across a computer with these symptoms. Power came on but no dice. After about 5 minutes scratching my head I realised when the machine had been moved the reset button had been pushed so far in that it was trapped behind the case and could not release.

Probably not the problem but just give it a push!
    eoskolkov Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2005, 08:08 PM
    I go the same problem as u said press reset button. Where is it?
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Aug 15, 2005, 01:26 AM
    Most PCs have two buttons on the front, one for initial power and one to temporarily reset the power. Usually the reset button cannot be pressed without a pen or sharp pencil etc as it is recessed into the case to stop accidentally being pressed. However some cases have a "proud" reset button that can be pressed as easily as the power button, this is what I refferred to in my original post.

Anyway, sometimes the reset button is well disguised on the front panel of your case. Just search around for either type of button (not on any floppy, cd or other internal drives). Press the button just after turning on the power and it will cut the power to the motherboard whilst pressed in.

Good luck!
    akashdas839 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2011, 02:10 AM
    Hiiii!I had the same problem as you do now a few months ago.I got my computer to be checked by a mechanic, re-installed the OS but still it didn't fix the problem.Then, I fixed the problem myself... The solution's really very simple.

Just dissect or open up ur CPU(open the screws of one side of your CPU) so as to see the internal parts like- RAM,hard disk,motherboard,etc.U'll see the RAM(a long,green-colored chip-like thing) attached to a yellow colored jack with two white clips or socket(The structure is the same as T.V. video games' cassette).Just pull down the two white clips & take out the RAM, clean it & put it back by tightly pressing it in the jack until th clips r automatically back in place. Close the CPU again & start ur PC. Ur good 2 go. BEST of LUCK, friend!!!! ^_^
    martinizing2 Posts: 1,868, Reputation: 819
    Expert

Jun 20, 2011, 06:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by akashdas839 View Post
    Hiiii!I had the same problem as you do now a few months ago.I got my computer to be checked by a mechanic, re-installed the OS but still it didn't fix the problem.Then, I fixed the problem myself.....The solution's really very simple.

Just dissect or open up ur CPU(open the screws of one side of your CPU) so as to see the internal parts like- RAM,hard disk,motherboard,etc.U'll see the RAM(a long,green-colored chip-like thing) attached to a yellow colored jack with two white clips or socket(The structure is the same as T.V. video games' cassette).Just pull down the two white clips & take out the RAM, clean it & put it back by tightly pressing it in the jack until th clips r automatically back in place. Close the CPU again & start ur PC. Ur good 2 go. BEST of LUCK, friend!!!! ^_^
    I'm sure his computer is out in a junk pile since that question is six years old.
    It is prudent to check the dates on the posts you feel inclined to answer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Computer screen distorted [ 3 Answers ]

I need help in getting my computer screen clear. All pictures and backgrounds are distorted. What can I do? Please help if you can. Thanks.

Dizziness and eye strain after an hour of watching the computer screen [ 11 Answers ]

Hi everybody. I don't know about you but for me.. working at my computer became a very hard thing to do. After just an hour of working in front of it... I kind of getting dizzy and have different aches right in my both eyes or sometimes even in my head. Did you have similar problems ? How did you...

Having a problem moving my address bar from bottom of screen to top of screen [ 11 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I can't seem to bring up an address bar at the top of the screen because when I right click at the top of the page, the options are not lit up. I could only bring up an address bar at the bottom. Since it gets in the way at the bottom, I would like to know if anyone can help me...

Who turned off the lights? [ 4 Answers ]

Okay, there's this weird stuff that has happened to me a few times. It started like this. Once I when I lived in sc I wrked at this place where I took care of a alziemer patient. Well I take this lady to the bathroom and sit her on the toilet. The next I know she has her pajamas on and I am tucking...

When the water was turned on again! [ 3 Answers ]

Had to turn the water line off for some repair work and after turning it back on after a half hour or so I flushed one of the toilets and KABOOM. Flushed the other toilet and same thing. I can understand some air in the line being compressed by all that water pressure but how to relieve it so it...

View more questions Search