Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    snowgodess04 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2007, 10:48 AM
    Leveling concrete floor
    We are attempting a bathroom installation. We would like to lay tile, but the concrete floor is uneven. We had a friend use an auto leveler to float the floor, but it still came out uneven. We then tried again pouring it over the entire floor. It is still uneven. We have marked out the low spots and high spots using a level and will try one more time. Any ideas or techniques? Thank you.
    jsnbrd Posts: 26, Reputation: 4

Jul 8, 2007, 11:29 AM
    Yes, Try using a string. The more water you use the more shrinkage will occur. Try to get the four corners of the room all the same elevation. Work from the corners. Then work from one corner to the other use as little amount of water, what ever material you are using. You always want to check with some measuring system be it a level or a string that you are maintaining consistency. Using less water means more labor get a big hand trowel get on your hands and knees and smooth the surface continually till' you have exacted the surface you are looking for. Remember to maintain clean surfaces at all times.
    Rcfiddlerman Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2007, 08:48 PM
    Just use some floor grout and apply it like a drywaller would on the wall. Feather it out as best as possible I believe this will do for u
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Aug 13, 2007, 04:27 PM
    Don't Use The Grout, Its Not The Same As Thinset Mortar, Mix Up Thinset Thick, Like Peanut Butter, Find The Dips And Skim Over Them, And Then Skim The Hole Floor, You Don't Have To Go Very Thick, Maybe Not More Than 1/2 " May Take The Dips Out And Be Good Enough To Lay Tile On.
    beingteri Posts: 27, Reputation: 6

Aug 18, 2007, 02:04 AM
    It is only the bathroom... and if anyone is spending that much time in your loo to find these flaws, then they are just snooping. We had the same problem across our kitchen floor... but didn't want ot buy that much cement to level it our by pouring. My husband attempted to grind down the high spots with his grinder... which is very messy... we weren't living there at the time. Our tiles were 12x12 and some of the high spots were larger than that and we cracked a few.

I wasn't about to pull up the tiles and grind some more... so I turned those sections into a patch of mosaic design... using the cracked ones from this and a few other tiling projects we were doing. Most bathrooms aren't huge... but you could get really creative. If you use a pre-made mosaic pattern (easy), they come attached to a net backing you just lay in place like a tile and grout with your other tiles. OR you could also design one of your own using polished stones or pebbles from the garden section OR glass marbles from a craft store! Go wild, be creative... don't let these little hills and valleys bum you out if it the levelling suggestions above don't work. Just keep it simple!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leveling basement floor [ 9 Answers ]

I am currently fishing my basement. I just started last week, I am installing a bathroom, I just got done breaking up the concrete and installing the infloor pluming and reconcreting. My question is, I need to level the floor, the high spot is in the middle of the room, is dosen't slope towards a...

Leveling a concrete floor [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 12' x 12' concrete floor that was poured a bag at a time and has about a 2" high spot. The floor was worked too much and is far from smooth. What is the best and easiest way to level this floor? thanks

Leveling floor for laminate flooring [ 1 Answers ]

I am installing a laminated wood floor. I first thought the floor was warped but I found out it was where the floor support were mouned to the fireplace for the floor joist. For some reason the support at the fireplace are <1/2" out of level. The floor has a slope until it reaches the first support...

Create dam for Self Leveling Concrete [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! I'm working on retiling my bathroom, and I need to pour self leveling concrete to level the floor. I realize that the floor only needs to be flat, but I also would like it to be level. I have expansion foam to go around the perimeter of the room, but there are some areas that I need to dam,...

How much floor leveling compound can I use? [ 6 Answers ]

My brother and I plan on putting down some laminate flooring but the existing sub floor very uneven. We are hoping to get out of replacing as much as we can and use some of that leveling material. So my question is how much is the max suggested? Is it 1/4" or ? Thanks for the help.

View more questions Search