Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vickyerexx Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2007, 09:36 AM
    Nervous with hamster
    Hi,
    Im really nervous around my hamster and scared of picking her up, I'm scared of her jumping out of my hands and getting lost, then I won't be able to find her.
    PLEASE HELP!
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2007, 09:39 AM
    How old is your hamster? The younger they are - the easier it is to train them to be held. If you are afraid - the hamster will sense it. We have a hamster and we don't handle her that much because she seems to get nervous when we do. On her cage, she has a look out tower that the top comes off. When we want to pet her, we just open it up and do so from there. We also purchased some treats for her and feed her directly from the cage. She now comes to the cage door and waits for us to feed her.
    LuvMyMaltipoo Posts: 281, Reputation: 39

Jul 8, 2007, 09:59 AM
    If you would like to handle the hampter take her to a place where she can't go far if she gets lose. My daughter has a hampster and she can only take her out and hold her if her bedroom door is closed and her room is clean. That way if it does jump out we can find her. Our hampster also loves to run in her ball around the house. Handle her a little bit each day until she's used to it.
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2007, 10:22 AM
    Put the cage on the floor and take the top off. If the hamster tries to run out redirect them (if you're really scared one of its toys i.e. a carboard tube come in handy for this). Right as it runs around it's cage gently touch its back until this causes no response. This does two things - makes the hamster realise you touching it is no big deal and the same for you. Touch it on it's back behind it's head - hamsters can't bite you there.

Right as your confidence improves and so does its start to touch one side and then the other - gently don't squeeze!

Then once you can do that- also with no response form the hamster extend this motion to sccop it up. Then let it go straight away. Do this a couple of times. If you do this over it's cage bottom if it jumps it can't get away easily- it has the side as a barrier to slow it down.

Then try holding it for a couple of seconds not very far form it's cage -so it doesn't get scared by the height. Just keep extending this further away, for longer etc. If you hold it close o your body it can run along your arms. It will feel safer with your body heat and the ability to hide in elbows.

Slowly do all these things - increasing duration each day, get a little further along each day. If it has a skittish day don't push it- try tomorrow. Each time you disturb it in its cage feed it something nice like a piece of apple or broccolli - bribery!

There are other methods in which you bribe it to walk onto your hand and these work equally well. But this one is good if you need a little reassurance yourself. Just remember patience is the key.

I trained a friend's hamster this way and it turned into a lovely good natured creature.
    opulent73 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2007, 02:46 AM
    Hi

I am scared of hamsters too.. I love looking at them.. my kids are 2, 4 & 6 and we got one.. they are desperate to hold her. I have been munched twice.. once on finger and once on toe (I was putting cage together and she was in a different bit. It was against my toe).

I'm scared of losing her.. she comes up regularly to see us.. and eats from our hand.. and I've managed the stroking.. but I think the cage access scares her when I put my hand in.. (small hole)

I wondered whether when she comes out of her ball I should open it in the bath... and let her run about.. and see if she will come to us.. What do you reckon?

Is it true that if I handle her with a cold she will get ill?
    Cuddle_Bug Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2007, 07:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by vickyerexx
    Hi,
    Im really nervous around my hamster and scared of picking her up, im scared of her jumping out of my hands and getting lost, then i wont be able to find her.
    PLEASE HELP!
    Hey, I am danielle, I just got my hamster but I have had hamsters before, and I used to be scared to. What you should do first is lay you hand in the cage and let her smell you, then you should go in an enclosed place (or just kind of build one of your own like with pillows) where if your hamster runs away, you can get her easy, then you have to just pet her for short periods, until you feel safe enough to pet her in a open space

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Can you tame a hamster? [ 14 Answers ]

I have a panda hamster names bamboo She's 8 weeks old and I've had her a little over a week, not very long I know She bites a lot and I want to know if there's a way to tame a hamster so they don't bite as much Because I don't like picking her up anymore because I'm afraid she'll bite me and...

My hamster has died [ 6 Answers ]

My pet hamster died today, he was only 10 months old and seemed absolutely fine, happy and running about. I had not seen him for over a day so I checked his bed and he was there just curled up. I don't understand why he has gone, I don't think he had wet tail, can anyone help me, give me a possible...

Hamster concerns [ 4 Answers ]

Hi! Am an unfortunate new hamster owner here. My hamster died after 9 days under me :confused:, just about to take her to the vet today but it was too late. I don't know why but her eyes has been closed the past 2 days and just yesterday night, she was still active I presume as she was still...

Hamster Qs [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I have a friend, he says a lot of things... The other day he said a hamster could kill a rat by jumping on its back and biting its neck. This seems a bit silly to me, the largest animal I could find that they eat using Google was locusts. Does this actually happen or is he making things...

Is my hamster going to be okay? [ 2 Answers ]

Okay this might be kind of a dumb question but whatever. I have a hamster named Larry and I pay attention to it and everything but I put it in it's plastic ball thingy and I forgot it was in there and kind of left it in there too long and when I tried to take it out it was going all crazy and when...

View more questions Search