Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Karly Posts: 27, Reputation: 2

Jul 8, 2007, 05:51 AM
    Horse Died.
    My horse was found dead this morning. Last night, we had a picnic and near the end, fireworks were set off. My horse was frightened of these. Would it be even possible that he could've suffered a heart attack from the fireworks? Or was it his old age that killed him? My horse was also 27 going on 28 years old, and the vet had recently said she didn't like how thin he was getting.
    mrssittingduck Posts: 151, Reputation: 24

Jul 8, 2007, 05:59 AM
    Condolences to you but it seems the horse had good innings so must have been well looked after,

However the death could have been caused by old age, or by fireworks or even a mixture of both, the only way you could find this out for sure is to have a post mortem done to check for heart problems, if the horse had a heart attack this will show up in the post mortem,

One thing I have learnt is also that fireworks and animals don't mix so I don't use fireworks , but even though I don't there are a lot of people in the area that do which causes death of my birds occasionally when they are not used to it, however I would say that as your horse was 27 years young that in his lifetime he would have whitnessed his fair share of fireworks enough that he would be used to them by now.. with old age comes weakening of the heart and it is possible that the firework made him jump and his heart may not have appreciated this

I would say all in all that the old age is more than likely the problem with him and so don't feel to bad upon yourself, but as precaution in the future I wouldn't recommend the use of fireworks near where animals are kept...

If the horse has lost weight due to old age the chances are their were in lying problems that can't be visually seen... I am sorry for your loss but don't beat yourself up too much over the fireworks as with all old horses 27-28 is a very good life.. most die before then of old age... and the chances are it was his old age that killed him :(

Katie

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Fighting Horse [ 4 Answers ]

I ride at a horse center where each week I ride a different horse. I once rode a gelding who would constantly fight for a longer rein, especially when I would try to halt him. If I gave him a longer rein, he would take advantage of that and try to take off. What do I do?

Horse [ 8 Answers ]

I was looking around for a safe horse for my 14 year old and I had stopped at a guys house cause he seen to have a lot of them, I had ask if he had any child safe well broken older horses (my child does know how to ride as I had tought her} any ways he told me he had a black gelding that's about 7...

Greiving horse [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I have a horse who is greiving for his buddy, my other horse who was put to sleep 2 days ago suffering with laminitis. He is eating and drinking but is laying down most of the time with his head on the floor and I can see he is so sad. They were together for 22 years. Will he get over the...

Horse sense [ 2 Answers ]

Pull Buddy An out-of-towner drove his car into a ditch in a desolated area. Luckily, a local farmer came to help with his big strong horse, named Buddy. He hitched Buddy up to the car and yelled, "Pull, Nellie, pull!" Buddy didn't move. Then the farmer hollered, "Pull, Buster, pull!" Buddy...

Trojan Horse [ 4 Answers ]

I don't know too much about computers, but I have AVG free for virus control on my PC and in the virus vault it says there is two trojan horse exploits? How do I get these off my computer completely so they aren't even stored in the virus vault? How does one get these viruses?

View more questions Search