Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dejavaboom Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2007, 05:09 AM
    Router for printers?
    I have two PC's that share a router for internet access, but I'm thinking maybe they could also use the router to share files and also share a printer. Is this correct? If so, how do I set it up to accomplish this.

For the record, it is a D-Link 2.4 GHz DI-514 Wireless router. So far I've not even tapped the potential for a wireless network, that just seems way over my head.

Thanks in advance.
    benn11 Posts: 1,036, Reputation: 43
    Ultra Member

Jul 11, 2007, 03:23 AM
    You should connect your printer to the router through a switch and it should be on the same network so that they are visible to each other. On each PC install the printer drivers and hopefully you can add the printers on both PC's...
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jul 11, 2007, 03:28 AM
    Ben11, close, but you omitted the need for a network print server.
    The added switch isn't required as connection directly to the router will be fine.
    Once a printer server in attached to the printer you will need to allocate it a STATIC IP address for easy of use.
    From there it's a simple case of installing the printer on each machine that requires access using the ststic IP address of the print server.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 11, 2007, 06:35 AM
    The router you have is actually three devices in one. It's a router which performs the function of managing the traffic between your broadband modem and your local LAN. It's a switch which provides 4 wired ports for your local wired devices. It's a Wireless Access Point (WAP) that allows you to connect WiFi devices into your LAN.

It's the Switch and WAP functions that allow you to network devices to share files and resources.

To share a printer, you have some choices. You can connect the printer to one of the PCs on your LAN then share it as a Resource (See File And Print Sharing in Windows Help). Or you can get a Print Server that connects to the Switch/WAP and connect the printer to that. Or, if you don't already have a printer, you can get one with a built in Print Server and connect it directly to a switch port.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 18, 2007, 06:28 AM
    Comments on this post

Dejavaboom agrees: Very helpful, but... if it helps clarify, one PC has a line going directly from it to the HP Laserjet 2300. So, if I understand... now all that's left is to set up sharing a printer?
    If you have a follow-up, don't use the comments, use a Quick Reply.
    Correct, just setup printer sharing on all PCs, Share the 2300 on the PC ists connected to, then install it on the Other PCs as a networked printer.
    Dejavaboom Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2007, 04:51 AM
    Very helpful. Now I'm up and running.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Router within a Router - Connection problems [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to set up a wireless network to be able to use my laptop, but am having problems getting everything working; The wireless is "Connected" yet I'm unable to access the internet, or ping the default gateway. The current setup consists of a Zyxel Prestige 643 (The "internet gateway", a...

Printers [ 1 Answers ]

I have a problem installing any printers on my windows xp media centre. It always says access deined. Can anyone help?

Multiple printers [ 15 Answers ]

I am trying to hook multiple printers up on one system. If they are both usb then I can hook them up and then share them and it won't be a problem when another system uses either printer. Is this correct. Also if I have to use a switch is there one that will do the switching automatically or will...

Printers [ 1 Answers ]

:(Hello Everyone) Anyone I am having a real rough time trying to figure this one out, Loaded a firmware on my printer, and now it's sending characters we do not understand, we talked to a tech, and he explained to us that the firmware that was loaded had brain washed the printer into believe that...

View more questions Search