Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kissykat Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2007, 06:58 PM
    Double pane window single pane broken
    Our house is about 20 years old. It was built with Gapco double pane windows. A couple of days ago something hit the outside of the double living room window and broke one the outside panes of glass. How do I go about getting the glass replaced?
    Thanks
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jul 7, 2007, 07:09 PM
    Shop around. Get some extimates. I'd start with acking friends locally. Perhaps something in a HomeDepot/Lowes kind of thing. The entire unit (both panes) will have to go. This is the time to think about modifying/home improvement. Ask yourself: "Is this a window we like... right size, does it open to allow a breeze. I had to replace the siding on my house and took the opportunity to replace three windows with more efficiant windows. BONUS! They reduced the sound allowed into the bedrooms where they were installed! Lots to think about.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Jul 7, 2007, 08:37 PM
    It may be an option to just remove the glass via from the outside, if it is a wood sash, you may be able to remove the glazing from the outside and replace the glass and reglaze, but if the window is a insulated glass you'll have to replace the sash,
    Id tell you to measure the sash but if you've never done it before you may get the wrong info to give to Lowe's or homedepot, either call a window replacement company or take the sash to Lowe's or homedepot,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Mysterious Broken Interior Window Pane [ 21 Answers ]

We have Pella double pane windows - the interior pane is removable. A few nights ago (around 2am), the interior pane in a guest bedroom suddenly exploded/broke into a million pieces. No one was in the room and the entire house was empty. In fact, no one had been in that guestroom for weeks. The...

Broken Pella window [ 5 Answers ]

My church has a couple broken Pella windows. They are the casement type, aluminum clad, a single pane of glass plus a storm window with a wood grid between. Is there any taking them apart and replacing the glass, or do I pay a Pella authorized technician to replace the whole sash? Remember, I am...

The Dist pane. [ 3 Answers ]

I know, in some areas, the ground and neutral, are joined at the breaker panel, is it better to have all grounds, incl the breaker enclosure, grounded to a separate, 8 or so ft groung rod, and not connected to the utility grnd.. I used to install many satellite system, years ago when the rcvr did...

Want to get rid of preview pane! [ 1 Answers ]

I use OE 6 and I don't want my messages to automatically open in the preview pane and I've reset the options a million times for it NOT to show the messages, but it STILL shows the message in the preview pane. Any ideas?? PLEASE? Thanks!

View more questions Search