Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    daneyy44 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2007, 06:05 PM
    Depression or bipolar?
    I am 14. I feel like I might be depressed or be bipolar. I have no interests in anything I used to love. I also cry a lot over stupid things. A lot of my friends always tell me they think I might be bipolar. I change moods a lot and freak out on people for no reason. I really don't know anything about depression or bipolar. So I'm just wondering how I would know if I'm depressed or if I am bipolar. Lately I have had lot of problems with my family. And just everything bad is happening to me. I also have lost my true best friend this year and haven't been able to get over it.I ask this question because I just don't want to take things to far... I just want to be a kid. I hate the things I have to deal with in my life. Like teasing and my mother hating me. What are the signs of being depressed'?
    cal823 Posts: 867, Reputation: 116

Jul 7, 2007, 06:10 PM
    Symptoms of depression include
    -lack of interest or pleasure in things you used to enjoy
    -tiredness
    -insomnia
    -irritability
    -prolonged sadness
    -lack of appetite
    -morbid/suicidal thoughts
    -self harm
    -more that I can't remember
    I was depressed, and I overcame it.

Types of depression
    -REACTIVE- caused by conditions, bad event, etc
    -MAJOR- no apparent cause or reason, believed to be due to chemical imbalance in brain
    -MANIC- highs and lows, irrational,
    -S.A.D-Seasonal affective disorder, less sunlight-more depressed
    -Post Natal- after pregnancy

-Causes
    -Environmental
    -illness
    -death/loss
    -abuse (verbal, physical)
    -drugs
    -chemical imbalance in brain
    -anything sad, traumatic, generall bad

Talk to a shrink or a counciller or a pastor/church leader or a close friend or an adult etc
    You can overcome this! I'm here if you need to talk.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 7, 2007, 08:16 PM
    What you read above is partially correct.

The signs of depression listed above are most of the signs and not all depressed people have all of the signs and symptoms. One must have 3 or more for 2 or more weeks.

The Types of Depression described above list MANIC... this is Bipolar. You see, Bipolar is a form of depression where one has intense highs for many many days, then dips down to intense lows.

Manic Depression, now called Bipolar Disorder is a disorder of cycles that consists of very happy days then dips down to very depressed days. This is a repeating cycle.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Schizophrenia... bipolar? [ 10 Answers ]

Before I go and get myself labelled as schizophrenic or bipolar or whatever, I wanted to have some idea what this sounds like to others... maybe I should just keep this to myself and suffer in silence. I was diagnosed with a dissociative disorder but recently realized that I have been having some...

Bipolar? [ 9 Answers ]

My boyfriend has bipolar and I'd appreciate some adivce on how to handle it. Lately he has been very emotional. One minute he is happy and the next he is sad. I worry that I cause this emotional roller coaster and I wish that I could help... He has a hard time getting out his emotions and sharing...

Boyfriend is bipolar [ 1 Answers ]

My boyfriend was diagnosed Bipolar several years ago before I met him. He had been taking his medication - 300 mg of Lithium Carbonate (3 times a day (900 mg total) up until a year and a half ago when he suddenly decided not to take his medication anymore when he was going through his divorce. ...

Could I be bipolar? [ 4 Answers ]

I know that I suffer from more than one type of depression. I've been like this my whole life and it only gets worse with age. I have lots of depression symptom, I've taking antidepressants. But lately little things have seem to stress me out so much more. I have lots of mood swings several times...

Bipolar [ 1 Answers ]

My boyfriend that I have been seeing for quite some time now has recently told me that he is in fact bipolar. I did some research online to find out more about it, since I knew very little to begin with. It can be, and is a very serious illness that needs to be dealt with in some form or another....

View more questions Search