Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LeaseTLH Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2007, 01:03 PM
    Verbal Month to Month Notice
    I am a landlord in CT. I have a tenant on a month to month with no signed lease at this point. We have both acknowledge a month to month verbally, via email records and by paying a monthly rent for 18 months.

She just gave 7 days notice on the first of the month and expects me to prorate her rent for the 8 days of the last month she will be in the house; therefore she expects a majority of her last months rent back that she had paid when moving in. I am under the belief that she must give 30 days notice on a month to month which she did not. Also, on a month to month, if she spends 8 days of the month in the apartment, then she pays the month. Am I correct? She is theatening to report us to the housing authority--but does she have a "leg to stand on"? (Our states website only says "proper advanced notice".)
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 7, 2007, 02:12 PM
    If it is a month to month lease and she only spends 8 days in the apt. and hasn't given you 30 days notice, then yes, she has to pay for the 30 days.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 7, 2007, 02:35 PM
    Yes, if this is a month to month verbal agreement, she has to give a month ( 30 day) notice. So let her threaten you, laugh at her and tell her she obviously has no idea of the law.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Notice required on a month to month lease? [ 9 Answers ]

I signed a 1 year lease that ended on July 31, 2006 in Minnesota. The lease states that if resident stays in the apt after the lease ends, with managements approval, it becomes a month to month lease. I stayed. The notice period stated in the lease is 60 days, effective the last day of the month....

Month to month notice to leave [ 2 Answers ]

I rent month to month in Florida with no lease, how long in advance does the landlord have to give a notice to leave the premises?

Verbal 12 month lease [ 3 Answers ]

My business is in California. We have a written month to month lease for our office space. We recently met with the leasing director and asked her about extending our lease for 12 months. She verbally agreed that a 12 month lease is OK and will not be a problem. She then went on a 3 week...

Minnesota Month to Month Notice Period [ 0 Answers ]

Trying to understand the lease that I am dealing with if I required to give a 60 day notice that my landlord claims that is in effect in a tenancy at will (after the original lease ended)or 30 days notice as a month-to-month terms of MN Law apply? Minnesota Statute 504B.135 TERMINATING...

View more questions Search